Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paid moderators on forums?

Paid moderators on forums?

I just have to ask this, How many different online forums do you go to that the admsion team and mods get paid for it? I just could not beleive it when they told me that they have to pay them or the would not do it. Know wondering they are "broke". Just had to ask this, as I find it really odd. Rant over now back to your regular show.

I've never been on any forums that had paid moderators ... that i know of. Fess up Stu, Vaughan, Dave - what's yer take-home?! :P
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    I just have to ask this, How many different online forums do you go to that the admsion team and mods get paid for it? ....
    None of the woodworking forums that I know of pay their admins or mods, although I'd guess that the forum owners might make a buck or two from advertising revenue. I doubt anybody's getting rich, though.

Here at FWW, we're advertising free, so there's no income of any kind, and nobody gets paid. We're all volunteers, and all happy to do it!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Here at FWW, we're advertising free, so there's no income of any kind, and nobody gets paid. We're all volunteers, and all happy to do it!
    Personally, I wouldn't want to get paid for doing something related to some things I love - woodworking, turning, and interacting with others who love the same things.
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

I donít know of any paid moderators either. I have heard of them bringing in hired guns when the DB has a major malfunction.

I believe Aaron at SMC is paid a paltry sum for his programming time.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I believe Aaron at SMC is paid a paltry sum for his programming time.
    Seems like I remember Keith mentioning at one time that they pay Aaron about $300 a month just to keep them up and running. That's a pittance for keeping that place going---and more than I made per month at my first full-time job in 1965!!
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Seems like I remember Keith mentioning at one time that they pay Aaron about $300 a month just to keep them up and running. That's a pittance for keeping that place going---and more than I made per month at my first full-time job in 1965!!
    I remember my first paycheck that topped $100 take home pay for only two weeks of my time! Man, I was floating in money!!
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Al,

Mods at one w/w site are not paid.........I know.....or I'm being taken advantage of.............
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    I just have to ask this, How many different online forums do you go to that the admsion team and mods get paid for it? I just could not beleive it when they told me that they have to pay them or the would not do it. Know wondering they are "broke". Just had to ask this, as I find it really odd. Rant over now back to your regular show.
    Al...
    Which site are you talking about when you say that? I tried to explain to you once today already that at no site I frequent are the mods paid. It really isn't what I'd call a fun job...and I have more and more respect for those who try it every day.

I visit a lot of forums but I'm not sure I would know for sure who gets paid....maybe the guy from the Ridgid forum? ...
    Got Wood?