Paid moderators on forums?

Al killian

I just have to ask this, How many different online forums do you go to that the admsion team and mods get paid for it? I just could not beleive it when they told me that they have to pay them or the would not do it. Know wondering they are "broke". Just had to ask this, as I find it really odd. Rant over now back to your regular show.

I just have to ask this, How many different online forums do you go to that the admsion team and mods get paid for it? ....

None of the woodworking forums that I know of pay their admins or mods, although I'd guess that the forum owners might make a buck or two from advertising revenue. I doubt anybody's getting rich, though.

Here at FWW, we're advertising free, so there's no income of any kind, and nobody gets paid. We're all volunteers, and all happy to do it!

Here at FWW, we're advertising free, so there's no income of any kind, and nobody gets paid. We're all volunteers, and all happy to do it!

Personally, I wouldn't want to get paid for doing something related to some things I love - woodworking, turning, and interacting with others who love the same things.

I don’t know of any paid moderators either. I have heard of them bringing in hired guns when the DB has a major malfunction.

I believe Aaron at SMC is paid a paltry sum for his programming time.

I believe Aaron at SMC is paid a paltry sum for his programming time.

Seems like I remember Keith mentioning at one time that they pay Aaron about $300 a month just to keep them up and running. That's a pittance for keeping that place going---and more than I made per month at my first full-time job in 1965!! :eek::eek::eek:

Seems like I remember Keith mentioning at one time that they pay Aaron about $300 a month just to keep them up and running. That's a pittance for keeping that place going---and more than I made per month at my first full-time job in 1965!! :eek::eek::eek:
I remember my first paycheck that topped $100 take home pay for only two weeks of my time! Man, I was floating in money!! :eek::D

I just have to ask this, How many different online forums do you go to that the admsion team and mods get paid for it? I just could not beleive it when they told me that they have to pay them or the would not do it. Know wondering they are "broke". Just had to ask this, as I find it really odd. Rant over now back to your regular show.

Al...
Which site are you talking about when you say that? I tried to explain to you once today already that at no site I frequent are the mods paid. It really isn't what I'd call a fun job...and I have more and more respect for those who try it every day.

I equate a Mod/ Admin to an officer in a woodworking/ other club. You take the job to help make the club/ site better or help others to understand the things we love. No pay is expected.

Bruce

You guys are kidding ....right?

I got paid from day one I joined here.

Everytime someone says "nice job ashman" or "Larry or Karl are buying todays beer".....how about all the nice words I received when my grandson was born, prayers offered when my mom was sick, an atta boy when I am able to answer a question.....how about the friends I have made here, and over there when I was "over there".

All of those things have made me the highest paid mod on any woodworking forum.

For all that, I "Thank You" for the time spent.

You guys are kidding ....right?

I got paid from day one I joined here.

Everytime someone says "nice job ashman" or "Larry or Karl are buying todays beer".....how about all the nice words I received when my grandson was born, prayers offered when my mom was sick, an atta boy when I am able to answer a question.....how about the friends I have made here, and over there when I was "over there".

All of those things have made me the highest paid mod on any woodworking forum.

For all that, I "Thank You" for the time spent.

Well said Bud. :wave:

Nice job. I'll buy the next beer. And I gotta say I'm thankful for SMC and FW. Met lots of great people, both in person and via these forums. :thumb:

Karl

Yeah, I've been meaning to talk to you guys about the payroll situation here. :p

As I see it, we've got $100.32 in the forum coffers. We could split that up among all the Mods and Admins, and each of us could reap a whopping $7.72. Then we could claim to have some of the highest-paid Mods on the Internet. :rofl:

(And I'd have to agree with Steve Ash's sentiments.) :thumb:

Yeah, I've been meaning to talk to you guys about the payroll situation here. :p

As I see it, we've got $100.32 in the forum coffers. We could split that up among all the Mods and Admins, and each of us could reap a whopping $7.72. Then we could claim to have some of the highest-paid Mods on the Internet. :rofl:

(And I'd have to agree with Steve Ash's sentiments.) :thumb:

Don't forget to take out Social Security and income taxes out of that $7.72!:D