Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Gathering in The Tokyo Dungeon

A Gathering in The Tokyo Dungeon

Well, we had a good day, or at least that was my take on things.

Everyone showed up on time and I was ready for the crowd, we had 11 members, including myself......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	group_shot1.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	17269 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	group_shot2.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	17270 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	group_shot3.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	17271 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	group_shot4.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	17272

Name:	suzuku_san_explaining.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	17273
    This is Suzuki San talking about the finishing technique he was showing us, he is the current president of our club.

Name:	suzuki_san_demo.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	17274
    Here is Suzuki San again showing this technique, he is using the steel from a power hacksaw blade, sharpened much like a double bevel scraper. I'll be trying this myself soon, and will detail it then.

Name:	member_demo.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	17275
    One of the members giving it a go.

We had a great time, Alex Reid came as well, and we had a good chat, as usual, and I think everyone was pleased. By having the meeting at my workshop, the only costs are individual ones the people need to expend to get to the meeting, which they would have to spend anyways. The other thing is I'm fairly central, being in downtown Tokyo. We usually rent out a workshop in a cultural center, it has not lathe, Suzuki San trucks in a VL300 Demo lathe from his workshop, and the place runs us $600 a day, I think, so this is a WAY cheaper set up. I have been asked to host another meeting in March.

It was a bit crowded, and I'm sure glad it was 9 Japanese guys down then, not 9 of my sized guys

One quick note, a lot of members had not seen or turned on a DVR in person, and they were impressed, they had a very low opinion of the DVR before this day, (most have the Vicmarc VL300 or other models, and a few have Oneway lathes!).

I think everything went rather well, and I look forward to doing it again!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Way to go Stu, Glad to hear that it was such a success. So does this mean you get to rest now?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Way to go Stu, Glad to hear that it was such a success. So does this mean you get to rest now?
    The rest of what

Nope, no rest for the weary here, got lots to do, I've been neglecting a few things at the L shop, so those now go front burner.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Ya Stu it was a good time well spent. I returned home a richer man (in knowledge that is). Thanks for the invite. BTW your blog looks good. The subdomain though seemed kinda funky - wwwablett... There was no period after the www but the call went through all the same.
    Last edited by Alex Reid; 01-28-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Well done, Stu. Looks like it was worth the remodeling job in the shop. I could fit that many people in my shop, but it'd be about as crowded as yours.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Looks like everyone is having a great time. The one guy appears to be tazering the wood. I wood be interested in learning that technique.

The dungeon looks great!

11 people in the dungeon?!

I have this mental image of one of those fire stickers... "Fire marshal regulations: maximum occupancy ___ persons"

And with a crowd like that, it sure is a good thing the lathe is on wheels so you can move it to the center.

As for hosting... Does no one else have a suitably sized space?

Tazering the wood, that's funny!

I'm not really convinced that the technique he was showing was of any use, I think I can get as smooth a finish with a double bevel bowl gouge, used correctly, as he was getting with the hacksaw blade.

The "Hacksaw Blade" is from a power hacksaw, not a bandsaw, but a hacksaw. The blade is about 1/8" thick, and 1 1/2" wide, the original length was 20". The blades are solid HSS. He has cut the teeth off, and cut the blade to about 6" long, still 1 1/2" wide. He has sharpened it on the one edge to have a double bevel on it, and somewhat curved, but I think he would have better success with with a narrower piece of steel. I bought a blank off of him to give it a try myself

Art, it was crowded, but it worked, sure other guys have great spaces, one is Sanno san, I showed his place in the "Yume Kobo" thread, but his place is a fair ways outside of Tokyo...

Like I said, I've been asked to host the next meeting in March some time.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    11 people in the dungeon?!

I have this mental image of one of those fire stickers... "Fire marshal regulations: maximum occupancy ___ persons"
    As for hosting... Does no one else have a suitably sized space?
    Art beat me to it. 11 people crammed into a hole in the ground with the only exit being a small hole in the ceiling seems like a catastrophe waiting to happen.
    Other than that......... looks like everyone enjoyed themselves. Did you notice anyone staying real close to the ladder?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Well compared to this.......

Packed Train <-YouTube Video

.........we had a LOT of space down there!
    William Arthur Ward