Compressor Problems

Stuart Ablett

{rant mode}

I bought this compressor on January 1st 2005.......

comp6.jpg

It has preformed well, but recently, when the compressor reaches the pressure limit, and shuts down, the release valve, that lets the pressure out of the cylinders, so the motor does not have to work so hard to start the next time around, well that little valve leaks. I've taken it apart and cleaned it and it still leaks. That is the only thing wrong with the compressor, but the whole "Pressure Shut Off Valve" unit is sold as one piece. :bang:

We got hold of the company that sells this compressor, and they took our name and number and would get back to us. They did, and they have the part, but............the cannot sell it to "US" as we are just the poor slob that bought the compressor.........:rolleyes: They will only sell to the company that we bought the compressor from, that company....... COSTCO........... :doh:My lovely wife phones COSTCO, and explains the problem, they say "Sorry, can't help you" ....... :huh: :dunno:

I get on the phone, ask to talk to the manager, someone who speaks English..... I get a guy, explain the problem to him, he tells me he will get back to me........ They call back, a few hours later and say that they will not warranty the part........ "Warranty"........ what are you talking about, I said in "ENGLISH" and my wife said in "JAPANESE" that we want to "BUY" the part.......... :bang:

"OK, we will get back to you"........ was the reply.

They got back to us, they have to get in touch with the supplier they bought the compressors from, and that company will have to buy the part, sell it to COSTCO, and then they will sell it to me.....and this will take some time..... :bang:

What displeases me the most is the original company telling me they will not sell me a part for the compressor that they make :dunno:

If anyone ever wonders why the Japanese economy has been in the toilet for over ten years now, here is a classic example I am a consumer, I have money, I want to give it to your company, but you can't take it from me, no, I have to jump through hoops and waste my time so you can sell it to X company who sells it to "Y" company and then if I'm really lucky "Y" company sells it to me. I think a lot of people just say "forget it" and don't buy stuff.

{/rant mode}

The long and the short of this is that I'm going to find myself a better compressor, a 3-phase, Hitachi or something like that, I'm sure a used one will be well worth the money and out last this one I have now. I'll sell this one and get myself a better compressor. Lesson learned, buy a good one to start with, only cry once!

sorry for the rant..... :eek:

Last edited:
Stu,

I bet if you contacted the manufacturer, explained that you would like one of their technicians to service the unit and replace the valve..... you would have a little truck with a guy in a clean uniform...part in hand...knocking on your door, before you could hang up the phone... :thumb:

Of course you would have to sell another couple of hundred pens to the local shrine to pay for it, but....:doh:

Hmmmmm...:huh: Maybe if I tell my wife I can't finish the trim cause the valve on my Craftsman compressor is bad and Sears says they don't carry it anymore...I can get a new Ingersoll Rand, 80 gal, 2 stage vertical unit....:eek: :headbang:

:rofl::rofl:

Compressor Problems.....

Hey Stu,

I won't promise they will sell and ship to you but it may be worth a try. They list "worldwide export services and I know they will have what you need.

Contact the folks at: www.grainger.com

e-mail: asia.pacific@grainger.com

or you can call them: 510-638-0955, or fax: 510-638-2582.

I deal with them and they usually have anything I have needed. We have a local warehouse here in Honolulu.

See what happens and let me know.

Aloha, Tony

P.S. Nice coverage of the woodturner's meet in the dungeon.

Allowing policy, procedure or "that's how we do it" to interfere with common sense is not unique to the land of the rising sun. I feel your pain. It is especially painful to those of us in business or those who have a reasonable understanding of business because we are frustrated by the ignorance of the behavior. Just because there isn't a transaction in the computer or a manager with sense to handle the situation doesn't mean you should tick your customers off. If you or I would have been the first person you talked to we would have called in a favor, pulled some strings or just explained to our superiors that taking care of the customer's issue quickly and politely would be the fastest (and cheapest) way to handle the call. I hope you are able to find a solution.

Sheesh, guys....:doh:

Stu don't really want no stinkin' relief valve for that little red toy! This problem is his key to the castle...err... new monster Hitachi compressor. :D

:rofl:

Sheesh, guys....:doh:

Stu don't really want no stinkin' relief valve for that little red toy! This is his key to the castle...err... new monster Hitachi compressor. :D

:rofl:

Greg knows me too well! :rolleyes:

Thing is, three years and this part is going south, what is next?

I'd rather fix it, sell it and then get a real compressor.

What kind of Cubic Feet per Minute should I be looking at?

Cheers!

Greg knows me too well! :rolleyes:

Yep, and I would be thinking of how to capitalize on the problem in the same way.....:rofl::rofl:

I'd rather fix it, sell it and then get a real compressor.

What kind of Cubic Feet per Minute should I be looking at?

IMO, You should look at what your "air needs" are, now and in the near future....add 25% to it...and then look for a compressor that meets those needs. I would include any finishing work...air sanders, spray guns etc. in your calculation.
Cheers!

The "plan" is starting to come together..... Heh heh heh! :rofl:

{rant mode}

I bought this compressor on January 1st 2005.......

comp6.jpg

I

"OK, we will get back to you"........ was the reply.

What displeases me the most is the original company telling me they will not sell me a part for the compressor that they make :dunno:

If anyone ever wonders why the Japanese economy has been in the toilet for over ten years now, here is a classic example I am a consumer, I have money, I want to give it to your company, but you can't take it from me, no, I have to jump through hoops and waste my time so you can sell it to X company who sells it to "Y" company and then if I'm really lucky "Y" company sells it to me. I think a lot of people just say "forget it" and don't buy stuff.

{/rant mode}

T:eek:

Stu

Sounds as if they took their business model off of Grainger.

Refuse to sell anything to anyone not in the trades. I have even had problems buying from local offices when out on field jobs. I finally learned the right answer, they need a phone number to look up an account. But still I have been in the repair business since 1967 one way or another and I have to play games to get parts there.

I recently had a very similar experence when I needed a special belt for a 20
year old compressor. CH said I had to go to a CH distributor and the local distributor wouldn't go to the trouble of ordering the belt for me. Found an internet shop that got a couple for me. But why the hassle?
Garry

Stu, If it is the same as what I am thinking of, then they can be had at any place that deals with large trucks with air brakes. A closeup of the peice will let me see if it is that proper part.

Well I MUST be living right, as we got a phone call from Costco today, they said that the importing company did NOT have the part, as the compressor is too old (I bought it January 1st 2005....... TOO old......... :huh: :dunno: ) Anyway, they said that they would send me a reconditioned part, says it will work fine........... for free........... :thumb:

We got to go out to Costco to get it, but that is no biggie, as we go out there fairly often.

Nice to get a break like this! :wave: