Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: That it: Cutting Firewood!!

That it: Cutting Firewood!!

Yep I'm cutting firewood...and no its not going to be for me. I am not that foolish and willing to take those risks with my home. Nope I am cutting firewood for sale.

I just saw firewood in the local paper going for 300 dollars a cord. Now I have never seen that before, even in the most heaviest forested state in the nation and a darn old state at that. I still cannot belive someone would pay 300 bucks a cord for firewood.

Even if this guy doesn't get his price, the other three listings were not far behind at 245 dollars a cord. That is just downright insane. Last year I was tempted to cut a few cords and sell them but figured last years high prices would be just a one season thing. I can see now I was wrong.

Now this leaves me with a delemia though. This 300 dollar wood was for apple wood, or wood high in BTU's. Where I live these old fields used to be apple orchards back in the early 1800's and were converted to potato fields, and later hay fields and corn fields or even back to forests. That means I got a lot of apple trees scattered out through the woods. I could wrestle up 5-10 cords of this easy enough, but I typically leave apple trees to grow because the deer like them. Still for 300 bucks a cord the deer just might go hungry and the taxes get paid quite easily.

Of course I could opt for the lower grade firewood, cut a bit more of it, but leave the apple trees for the deer.

300 bucks a cord!! Who would have thought!!
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

$300 bucks for a face cord or a full cord? Makes quite a difference.

A face cord is often called a rick or half a cord. Not a legal term but common usage. Around here, firewood is $30.00 a rick. But, the ricks are often cut to 16" instead of 24", big difference in quantitiy. Folks buying that don't know wats wat get took. Can't understand the big difference in price.
    Found this link, interesting: http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.htm
    BTW, Travis, you could sell apple wood turning blanks for more money. Or turn into art pieces and make really big bucks.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I saw an ad for a full size pick-up load for $200 here in IA. I guess that would be half a cord? The ad said hickory and oak, dry, split and delivered.

On the other hand there are always a few ads for "free firewood" from someone that needs a tree cut down "you cut and haul away keep the wood for free"
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Around here (Ottawa, Ontario), city folks think of a "cord" as 16"w x 8'L x 4'H. Technically, that's a face cord and a bush cord (a real cord) is three times that volume, ie:48"w x 8'L x 4'H. A "face cord" sells hereabouts for approx $125-$150cdn and usually requires a minimum quantity or delivery charges apply. So, a "bush cord" should run $375-$450. Maybe that's what Travis saw advertised?

cheers eh?

I don't know about fire wood but I just paid over $4.00 a gallon for propane..

When I changed from electric to propane it was .79 to .89 a gallon.

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    Yep I'm cutting firewood...and no its not going to be for me. I am not that foolish and willing to take those risks with my home.
    Not sure I understand your statement. Are you saying those who burn fires in their home are foolish risk-takers?

Face cords or "Ricks" is most generally a term a lot of people in the south use for firewood. (Not slamming you, its just how they sell firewood down there). Here in Maine a cord of wood is 4 feet high, by four feet wide, by eight feet long, for a total of 128 cubic feet. Adding in some losses for space between the piled wood and your most likely to get around 90-100 cubic feet of wood per cord. If you sell by weight,a cord of hardwood green is around 4500 pounds per cord. (That is how the paper mills by the wood at their log yards).

Around here 300 bucks a cord is insane. Normally "dried, cut, split and delivered" firewood goes for around 120-150 dollars a cord. Anything over 175 bucks is getting expensive, so at 300 bucks...well that is just insane. Its still cheaper per btu then buying oil or propane, but its hard to calculate really because of all the inherit losses in wood heat.

Either way it looks like I'll be cutting up some firewood soon. Whether I use the money to pay for my taxes or use it to heat my home next summer, I don't know. (I'll be selling it to other homeowners and buying propane of course). I was in hopes to do some logging this weekend but it looks like the wife has a full weekend planned
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    I don't know about fire wood but I just paid over $4.00 a gallon for propane..

When I changed from electric to propane it was .79 to .89 a gallon.

Garry
    You are still ahead of the game. Back in 1995 when I built my house, they told me "you can pay up to 4 bucks a gallon for propane and it still still be cheaper then electric".

Now this is kind of subject to some variables. Here in Maine we do pay some of the highest electric rates in the country, so at .15 cents a KW, electrical heat is something people have in other states. At the current price propane here is "high", but I have only paid 2.30 a gallon this year and I am not locked in at any pre-buy price either. Oil is now 3.20 a gallon.

Now propane would seem cheap compared to oil, but as you probably know, propane only has 91,000 btus per gallon versus oil's 131,000 btu per gallon. So if you do the math you will see its about the same btu wise. Propane is still the better fuel however because of its ability to control the flame and since maintenance costs are cheaper on propane units.

Now keep in mind when they said this statement to me back in 1995, they had no way of knowing the advances in technology that were going to take place. My new boiler sips propane heating a 2100 square foot home in Maine. Some of the controllers I have on my new system were not even available 2 years ago. Its also technology that cannot be done with electric heat. I bet I could pay 5 bucks a gallon for propane and still be ahead of the game. I bet you could too.

So rest assured, you made the right choice my friend. Propane is probably one of the most economical ways to heat a home right now.

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 02-27-2008 at 09:31 AM.