Mojitas Anyone

Bill Simpson

Finally able to do some recreational WWing. Been mulling over the perfect design for Mojito Makin' Muddlers... This is my first attempt. Need some serious critique. I expect to make a dozen or so for my Mojito sippin' buddies, then off to another pleasure. Oh yes... 11" long, Maple (with a hint of Curl) sanded to 400 and then some paper I couldn't decide which side was the abrasive, polished and burnished with Mineral Oil. Thanks for lookin'

Mojita01.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job Bill! Really like the curley maple.

What's your recipe for the Mojito? I've tried a couple and not had a good luck so far finding one my wife likes to drink. She's had them at a local restaraunt, but couldn't get them to give up their recipe.

Thanks,

Gord, Chuck,

A mojito is traditionally made of five ingredients: rum, sugar (traditionally sugar cane juice), lime, carbonated water and mint[1]. Its combination of sweetness and refreshing citrus and mint flavors are intended to mask the potent kick of the rum, and have made this clear cocktail a popular summer drink. Many hotels in Havana also add Angostura bitters to cut the sweetness of the mojito; while a popular variation, it is not the original version created in La Bodeguita del Medio[1].

To make a Mojito, juice from a lime is added to sugar and mint leaves in a tall glass. The mixture is then gently mashed repeatedly with a muddler. Crushed ice is then added, followed by rum and topped off with club soda.

The word mojito is derived from the diminutive of the word mojo.[2]

The real ones will knock you flat... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for the good words, Guys, A Mojito is a Rum based and most refeshing Cuban delight. Made famous by Ernest Hemmingway and in the past few years has drawn concern due to James Bond, etc. But aside from that, I really enjoy them in the summer, most refreshing thing going. I grow my own Mint and make a mint simple syrup especially for Mojitos and Juleps.

My Recipe is... Take a tall slinder glass, 2-3 leaves of fresh sweet mint, Using a wood Muddler (thus my Curly Maple Creation) gently crush the leaves along the sides and bottom of the glass, (leave the crumpled leaves inside) fill the glass with clear crushed ice. Juice from 1/2 lime, hefty tablespoon of Simple Mint Syrup, Couple shots of White Rum, finish off with Club Soda, Garnish with a Twist of Lime and Sprig of Mint. Ahhhhh! :thumb:

Careful, they are addictive... Just Google Muddler or Mojito and there is a world of good info.

How to make Mint simple syrup? Take 2 cups of chopped Mint leaves (be sure to select those not frequented by dogs and cats or under TV antenna where the birds sit) (leaves, never stems) In a glass boiler bring 2 cups clear water to a boil, add 2 cups sugar stir till it dissolves, place the mint, stir and coverturn off the heat and allow to steep untill it comes to room temp. Strain off the syrup removing the spent mint. pour into an empty 1 litre bottle store in fridge for as long as it lasts, with me that is all summer so I make a last batch in the fall with the last harvest of the season and stretch it till spring. I took a sprig of Mint down to the lake and shoved it into a crevice on the boat dock, now I have fresh mint when ever I visit the houseboat (except during winter :( )

By the way, the best way to make a Julep is to also Muddle Mint on the sides of a Julep Glass, before adding the crushed Ice, Simple Mint syrup and Bourbon. See, another need for the Muddler :thumb: Must get busy, I found some more Curly Maple.