Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porter Cable combo kit

Porter Cable combo kit

Rockler has a reconditioned nailer kit on sale and was wondering if it is a good deal or not. Here is the linkhttp://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...8&cookietest=1

I've not used any of those nailers (or the compressor), but $229 for the three guns alone sounds like a decent deal. Throw in the compressor and it sounds even better.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sounds like a good deal to me too. I paid $220 just for my Grex 23ga pin nailer.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

I conned my Buddy into buying the set with 15ga, 18ga and narrow crown stapler from Amazon (new at $299 IIRC) a couple of years back (& of course it resides in MY shop with all his other WW tools) and they have all performed flawlessly for us in my shop thus far. Another buddy gave him the PC clipped head Framing nailer for xmas that year and it too has performed flawlessly on several projects for all of us, using the normal sized framing nails, as well as some 2" galvanized nails. Those pancake compressors ARE noisy though, and do cycle fairly often when using the large framing nailer, but probably no noiser than any other pancake compressor. We would buy again for our type of use.

I bought the one that came with the 1 1/4 brad nailer and paid about that same price. Compressor is noisy and cycles often, but not had any issues and use it quite often. I'd evaluate what your using the guns for. 16 gauge is a little thick for nailing up hardwoods on cabinets and such, I end up with spliting everytime. However they work great for trim work in the house. I've switched to using the 18 gauge for my shop projects, but use a 2" as the 1 1/4" aren't usually long enough. I use a 1/4" crown all the time, mostly for attaching backing on cabinets.

Good Luck,
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

John had one of those pancakes in our shared shop, great unit, if I weren't saving up every spare dime for a roof I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.
    -Ned

Thanks for the feedback on this set. I just ordered it. The best part is my father-in-law needs a little compressor and going to give $50 for it. I have a old 30 gallon compressor that I will use.

Yep - that's a great deal. I think I paid around $300 at Home Depot for the same set-in-a-box a couple of Christmases ago!

But I think my compressor is actually a 125 psi unit, so that makes it an even better deal!

Here is how they are sending it. I do not understand way there are three different boxes going there different ways.
    Items Shipped
    Shipment 1 shipped on 01/31/2008.
    Partnumber Product Title Ordered Qty Shipped Qty Backordered Qty
    29235 Pc Combo Cfnbnsr Recon Kit 1 1 0
    20661 Quick Cure 5 Min Epoxy 1 1 0
    42036 Gift Card 1 1 0
    10031 Customer Service Adjustment 1 1 0
    Shipped To Ship Method/Tracking Info
    AL KILLIAN
    4253 ROUTE 98
    NORTH JAVA, NY 14113

Box 1
    USPS 1ST CLASS MAIL
    No Tracking Number Available

Box 2
    RES UPS GROUND
    Tracking #: 1Z5605010320578873
    UPS Tracking

Box 3
    USPS PRIORITY MAIL
    Tracking #: 01066515156012099601
    USPS Tracking

Is this normal for rockler? I sent them a email asking why tthere is three different packages. We will see.

Al,

I have that finish nailer and that brad nailer. I also have an older version of that compressor. I haven't had any problems with any of them. I don't know about the stapler, but if it performs like the nailer you should have no problems with it. Just make sure that you put a couple drops of air tool oil in them before each use.

As to the way that Rockler ships, I'm not sure. I end up going to the Rockler store when ever I need something. However, I have seen companies do that when the items are coming from different distribution centers.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe