Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GLOAT!!! - See what Brown can do for you.

GLOAT!!! - See what Brown can do for you.

Today, after most of the ice and snow had melted off, a big brown truck made its way into our driveway and offloaded--

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0783.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	17324
    Nine - 9 - count 'em, 9 boxes---

Name:	IMG_0784.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	17325
    See - sent to us

Name:	IMG_0785.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	17326
    David could hardly wait to get home from work to start opening boxes and playing with his new toys (although you'd never know he was happy to look at this picture!).

Name:	IMG_0786.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	17327

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	17328

We are replacing the 1-1/2hp unit with a 2-1/2hp, reconfiguring a little, and ordered the "auto-on" blast gates from PSI. So--when a gate is opened, the DC will turn on automatically. No more walking across the shop to turn on the circuit breaker (since the last remote bit the dust) or searching for the remote.

We weren't so lucky as Ken - they had the 2-1/2hp units in stock and we didn't get an upgrade , but that's okay. This one will last until we die.
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Congrats, to both of you...

Look forward to seeing the tinker toys come together!

Well that really sucks don't it..........

I mean that should really suck..............up the sawdust!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    (although you'd never know he was happy to look at this picture!).
    It is a gift between loved ones that they can read each others innermost feelings despite outward appearances.

Congrats on the DC.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Congrats!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

So when your using this unit do you have to leave a gate open so your not turning the motor off & on to many times in an hour? As I understand it each motor is rated to be started only so many times in an hour.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Congratulations Nancy.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Well, I guess that now that it has finally arrived you can begin to breath easier.
    Congrats!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    So when your using this unit do you have to leave a gate open so your not turning the motor off & on to many times in an hour? As I understand it each motor is rated to be started only so many times in an hour.
    You know I've worked in a few shops, industrial types, with DC, and no one ever told me NOT to turn on the DC as I needed it, cause it would wear out the motor.....

I don't know for sure, but I've only been hearing this story in the last few years, it does make sense that any mechanical item has a "Usage" life, and I'm sure that if you were to start and stop an electrical motor 30 times a minute for 24 hours it would not be good for it, but this is really starting to sound like an internet myth.

Not an attack at you Bart, I know you mean only well in mentioning it, but I'd like to see, from a manufacturer of electric motors some sort of a rating for the number of times a motor can be started and stopped per hour, before I'd buy into this.

Could it be that this has more to do with the older type of induction motor that has actual physical contacts for the start up circuit? I could see not wanting to have your six year old playing with the on/off switch on those units, as the contacts are actually physical contacts, and they could over heat, but a modern motor, do they still have those? Or how about a 3-phase motor, do they have them at all?

Don't know enough about it, but something seems to stink a bit with this whole idea of "Don't start and stop your motor too often, or you will wear it out" line of thinking. Does this count for table saws too?

Sorry for the Hijack Nancy.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Nancy - Congrats! I bought the 3hp a couple of years ago. It is nice to have the extra CFM. Now the fun part is putting this together. Did you get the stand or are you using the mounting bracket?