Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Cigar

1st Cigar

Finally got around to turning a cigar! I really like the kit. The wood is cherry burl that was given to me a couple months ago and is finished with lacquer. Let me know what you think!

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!

That's a wonderful piece Ed. Just curious, I've got an old craftsman lathe, what would one need to get started in turning pens? What speed would you turn at? What are the most frequently used chisels?

Thanks,
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    That's a wonderful piece Ed. Just curious, I've got an old craftsman lathe, what would one need to get started in turning pens? What speed would you turn at? What are the most frequently used chisels?

Thanks,
    Darren, I'm not sure how your lathe is set up. Most lathes now have a morse taper and you get a mandrel that fits into the taper. The reason I bring this up is I have an old Dunlop lathe that was sold by Sears in the 40's and has a fixed spur. As for gouges I use a roughing gouge and a skew. You also need a drill press to drill the blanks and a means to press the parts together (I use a quick grip clamp)

There is a Woodcraft store in Lenexa. Not sure how close that is to you, but they may have a class that could help you get started. They are a lot of fun and a quick project to finish. If you know someone in your area that could walk you through it, it would go a long way in learning!

Mohammad, thanks for the kind words!

Looks great Ed!

Darren, if you can take a class, do so, much easier than trying to figure it out on your own, trust me
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Ed that is a beauty. Wow I like the cherry. I usually finish mine with lacquer also.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ed,
    Great Pen, the cigar is one of my favorite to make.. I think they are quick, easy and fairly forgiving..

Darren, if you can get classes, great... but if you teach yourself, just think of all the fun you can have learning..
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    Most lathes now have a morse taper and you get a mandrel that fits into the taper.
    I do have a #2 taper on both the head and tail. I'll look to see what would work. Just wondering if I can adjust the speed up/down to where I can use my existing lathe. What speeds does one normally turn at?

I'll check into the classes also, thanks.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I do have a #2 taper on both the head and tail. I'll look to see what would work. Just wondering if I can adjust the speed up/down to where I can use my existing lathe. What speeds does one normally turn at?

I'll check into the classes also, thanks.
    I usually turn pens at a fairly high speed, I think it is around 2600rpm. Once they are shaped you slow it down to about the slowest speed to sand. If you were about 1000 miles closer I'd tell you to stop by! Have you done much turning? If so, I don't think you'll have much problem figuring it out. If not, get someone to walk you through it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    ...Let me know what you think!
    I think it's beautiful. I like that it's a bit slimmer than some other cigars I've seen. Nicely done.

And Darren, search YouTube for "pen turning". I got several hits, including this one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GYZWL2ZSE8g
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com