1st Cigar

Ed Nelson

Finally got around to turning a cigar! I really like the kit. The wood is cherry burl that was given to me a couple months ago and is finished with lacquer. Let me know what you think!

IMG_0328.JPG

That's a wonderful piece Ed. Just curious, I've got an old craftsman lathe, what would one need to get started in turning pens? What speed would you turn at? What are the most frequently used chisels?

Thanks,

That's a wonderful piece Ed. Just curious, I've got an old craftsman lathe, what would one need to get started in turning pens? What speed would you turn at? What are the most frequently used chisels?

Thanks,

Darren, I'm not sure how your lathe is set up. Most lathes now have a morse taper and you get a mandrel that fits into the taper. The reason I bring this up is I have an old Dunlop lathe that was sold by Sears in the 40's and has a fixed spur. As for gouges I use a roughing gouge and a skew. You also need a drill press to drill the blanks and a means to press the parts together (I use a quick grip clamp)

There is a Woodcraft store in Lenexa. Not sure how close that is to you, but they may have a class that could help you get started. They are a lot of fun and a quick project to finish. If you know someone in your area that could walk you through it, it would go a long way in learning!

Mohammad, thanks for the kind words!

Ed,
Great Pen, the cigar is one of my favorite to make.. I think they are quick, easy and fairly forgiving..

Darren, if you can get classes, great... but if you teach yourself, just think of all the fun you can have learning..

Most lathes now have a morse taper and you get a mandrel that fits into the taper.

I do have a #2 taper on both the head and tail. I'll look to see what would work. Just wondering if I can adjust the speed up/down to where I can use my existing lathe. What speeds does one normally turn at?

I'll check into the classes also, thanks.

I do have a #2 taper on both the head and tail. I'll look to see what would work. Just wondering if I can adjust the speed up/down to where I can use my existing lathe. What speeds does one normally turn at?

I'll check into the classes also, thanks.

I usually turn pens at a fairly high speed, I think it is around 2600rpm. Once they are shaped you slow it down to about the slowest speed to sand. If you were about 1000 miles closer I'd tell you to stop by!:eek: Have you done much turning? If so, I don't think you'll have much problem figuring it out. If not, get someone to walk you through it!

Have you done much turning?

I used to turn quite a bit growing up and got pretty good with the two chisels we had (skew and gouge). Never turned pens or seen it done, but am interested in seeing what the process entales and what additional tools I'd need. Doesn't sound like I need much more than I have, so will have to stop off at Woodcrafts this weekend and see when they have classes.

Thanks,

Thanks,

Since you said you have a #2 MT you can get needed supplies from many places. Contact PSI for their catalog and free video on pen turning. Then get a Craft Supply catalog 'The Woodturners Catalog'. I get 90% of my pen supplies from CS. Then come back here and ask for tips as you get started. Good luck.

I like the Cigar also. It is a beefy pen, not for dainty hands. Being 'beefy' it shows off the wood and figure better than slimlines. Only caution is that seating the transmission is a precise operation. Must be set no deeper than the instructions state. They are difficult to disassemble and redo. Ye dun gud on thet one. :thumb:

Hi Ed :wave:,
It is a very good looking round piece! Bet it feels good too!
Please be careful, exercise extreme caution when doing the round stuff!:eek:
Been said it is addictive....... YOU NEED STAY AWAY FROM THAT LATHE!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Notice how the round guys are buttering you up? They want to make you another "Steppford' :eek: wood turner", always Happy:dunno:...! ..:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Exercise caution!:rolleyes: GO FLAT!!!!!!!!!
Shaz :)