Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E.C. Atkins & Co. - 'Circular' Saw blade

E.C. Atkins & Co. - 'Circular' Saw blade

Recently I came across a pair of 'brand new' E.C. Atkins saw blades. They are about 11" across, but they are almost square. There are 4 teeth on the corners, and 4 teeth that are on a smaller diameter than the other 4. They are all carbide tipped. The major teeth have chamfers on them, the small teeth do not.
    I dont have pictures that I can 'fit' as an attachment. I can email someone pictures if they might know something.

Tokiwadai, Japan

First, welcome to the forum....

If you email the pics to me, I'll adjust them and post for you. My email addy is in my profile.

Tokyo Japan
    Hi Mike, welcome to the Family!

Sounds like one of those blades they had a while back so you could cut curves with your circular saw....

Look forward to the pics
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 02-27-2008 at 08:31 AM.

I can see this saw blade being used in like ripping operations. Its hard to picture...and this is 100% speculation, but I can see a tablesaw being equipped with these blades. The square blade would rotate with the four corners using the teeth to cut through the wood and then the middle of the blade "sweeping" out the swarf (sawdust). That would certainly explain why the teeth on the corners are shaped for a shearing cut, and the middle ones are rather straight to clean out the kerf better.

The thing to keep in mind is, these old tablesaws (or buzz saws as they were called) were beefy units with lots of cast iron for mass. They could easily handle something out of round and still not vibrate like a saw that was made today would. They also had flat leather belts so if something was hit to hard, the belt would slip long before anything broke...and speeds on these old flat belted monsters could be changed with a simple move of the cone pulleys. You could easily speed up or slow down the saw to be able to saw whatever it is you wanted...or in this case, mount whatever sawblade you wanted on it...even if it was squarish.

Again this is all just speculation
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome to the family Mike.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I dont know what kind of arbors old table/buzzsaws had, but the 'arbors' on these are more like hubs: 4" bore with 8 bolts, bolt circle is about 0.060" thicker than the rest of the blade but only on one side. Thats why I thought it was some kinda dado, or maybe a gang saw. Pics should be on the way. Thanks so far for the info though everyone.

Tokiwadai, Japan
    Here are Mike's pics of the blades...

Attachment 17343

Attachment 17344

Attachment 17345
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 09-13-2009 at 03:47 AM.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Hi Mike, welcome to the Family!

Sounds like one of those blades they had a while back so you could cut curves with your circular saw....

Look forward to the pics
    I recall those tablesaw blades that could cut circles were sorta triangular. Weird looking things. Of course this 'square' blade is equally weird and very scary. Hang on wall. Conversation piece.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

The Heart of Dixie
    Probably a machine/job specific tool used in some industrial setting.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits