Woodworking show in KC this weekend

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
The woodworking show is this weekend in Kansas City. Anyone else going? I usually end up taking off on Friday and going that afternoon. Found that it's a little less crowded than on Saturday.

Also, Has anyone been to it in one of the other cities? If so, any reviews?

Check the vendor list?

Probably not an issue as you're local but I would really look at the vendor list if traveling very far.

I attended in 2004 and I was really impressed with the selection. Ballew had a booth and I got a good deal on a GI 50-185 (no General dealers local to me).

I attended again in 2006 and found the show very disappointing. Lee Valley was there so you could "handle" some of their planes/etc. but IIRC most Lee Valley purchases had to be shipped anyway. At the time, I was looking for power tools and actually found a better selection/prices at Overland Tool (believe they have a sale on the same days).

KC is a 5 hour drive for me so I'm not going this year. I would go in any case if I lived in the area being the tool addict that I am!

Got my friend to spend some money, so feel much better. :D

It was the same show as always. Did sit in on the finishing session by Appolo Finishes (I think). The guy gave some great advice about sanding (320 grit for water based, 220 for oils) and explained difference between Laquer and Poly.

Topped the day off with a trip over to WoodCrafts, but did not have the MT#1 mandrel for doing pens, so not starting that venture yet. Got to talking with a couple of guys there and gave them my Saturday/Sunday tickets for the show since my Father-in-law wasn't going to be home this weekend.