Texas Rocker - Kid size

Bryan Cowing

Having loved the style since seeing one way back in 87 in issue #19 of Wood mag. After making a plan and a few prototypes, produced a few back in 06. Now I'm trying to shrink the style to a kid size . All thats left is to build the back rest and turn some knobs for the top of the legs. :D
IMG_4641-1.JPG

IMG_4642.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4645.JPG

Very nice! I bet there aren't too many projects that can beat a chair - when it comes to keeping you a well-balanced citizen of both Flatland and Spinny World. :)

Glue & Stain

got the chair glued up, but got some parts backwards.:eek: I guess I was going too fast! The front dowels are cut off center and it was too late to reverse one so they would line up. Then I noticed one armrest upside down!!! :huh: I had used a 2" length of dowel with wedges, into a hole drilled through the armrest and down into the front leg. Must have been glued 10 minutes already and I had to really smack it with the dead blow hammer to get it off! It's been an exhausting afternoon, and I got one coat of stain on before supper! IMG_4674.JPG

That is just fantastic.

I've always wanted to try a chair but was always afraid I'd throw it out the door before being completed just like Roy Underhill always did.

Final PIC

Put it beside my cedar porch rocker I built a year ago so you could see the size difference. I sprayed sanding sealer and satin lacquer after work today. Thanks for the comments, hope you enjoyed the pics from this project.
IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4679-1.JPG

Last edited: