Elm HF-with a few firsts

Jeff Bower

This is my first true hollow form! Elm 6" W X 4" H. Finish is Formby's tounge oil and paste wax buff, another first for me. I did it in one shot green and it did crack, but I "stitched" it with wire, another first for me. It also is now an oval, not a first. :eek: Critques encouraged.

Attachments

• elm hf.jpg
    elm hf.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 59
  • elm hf1.jpg
    elm hf1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 36
Congratulations on your first HF. But beware, they can sure get addictive!

I like that wire stitching. It looks like my chest did after my bypass surgery. In fact, my chest X-rays still look like that since they used wire to hold my sternum together after they sawed it in two. :D

Nice job for so many firsts, Jeff. Good save. :thumb: Critique-wise, it looks like it could have used a little more sanding (I see a bit of tearout and tool marks), but the finish came out good. You should be proud of this one. :)

Jeff, that was a nice play on the lathe.
Saw just like Vaughn some toolmarks, but it's always a learning process the first time. :thumb:

Thanks to all of you. There is some tearout and tool marks, I should have sanded more, but once it started to crack I kinda put the sanding on the back burner. :eek:

Dad that was some of the elm I had already. I have a NE bowl that is almost done on the lathe now that is some of the elm you brought up form KS.