Ironwood bowl w/inlay

Hey all, For your viewing pleasure; A bowl I made recently. I designed it as a change/carkeys/wallet type bowl with a smooth round curve on the inside for easily getting things out like,..well..a change bowl. Inlay is 1/2" squares of malachite and abalone. This piece took me quite a while. The diameter is 10.5" and about 3.5" tall. Thanks for looking, Barry

Attachments

• abalone1.jpg
    abalone1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 76
  • abalone2.jpg
    abalone2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 57
  • abalone3.jpg
    abalone3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 34
I am guilty of looking at the pictures before I read the post. :dunno: :eek:

The idea I had for using your bowl was exactly what you made it for. :D

Well done Barry :thumb:

DT

Thanks Guys,
Did you do any finish sanding or anything? Or was in once the inlay was in it was done? Did you use epoxy?
Actually, I sanded a lot after inlay (on the inlay area, that is) Starting with about 80 grit and working up to 600. Malachite is pretty soft so it's sandable, and of course abalone is sandable, just smells like the dentist is drilling your teeth. The finish is Johnsons paste wax. Yea, I set the inlay with epoxy. I put a few drops of walnut stain in it to darken it up, doesnt seem to effect the epoxy. I rough cut the inlay material into 1/2 strips with a tile wet saw. Then cut to squares with a dremel and a diamond disc, then sanded to final size/thickness on a belt sander with silicon carabide paper.

What grit did you start with?? Just curious. Also, is the ironwood the same wood people sometimes call hophornbeam?? Hard stuff, I'm told. I thought it stayed very small, though. Obviously not! Very nice piece. I love the malachite/abalone contrast.

What grit did you start with?? Just curious. Also, is the ironwood the same wood people sometimes call hophornbeam??
I think I started with 60 grit. No, this is Desert Ironwood, grows only in the Sonora Desert, considerably denser than Hophornbeam. Barry