Furnace of New Radiant heater?

Jeff Horton

This is one of those subjects I see over and over at Woodnet and other places. I am sure it will crop up here again and again. Shop heat.

Help me decide. I have two options. I have an old furnace that was given to me. Forced air, propane burning. Supposed to be very large unit. Overkill for my shop but means it would warm up fast. Assuming it works and is doesn't have a carbon monoxide leak once I check it out. I have still to do some work to it. Add a base and air filters box. Ad a vent it to the outside. Have some minimal ductwork built and do a little wiring. I am guessing 100 to 150 dollars to spend on it. Bear in mind it is an old unit.

Other option is buying one of these.
173963_lg.gif

My shop is plumbed (both ends) for propane so this is a simple hang it on the wall and attach a gas line. It has the advantage of being new and simple to install. Price is probably a bit higher than the furnace. Downsides are where to put it. I would like to attach it up high to keep it out of the way, that might not work? I think I will need a fan to circulate the air around my shop. And I wonder how fast it will heat up the space. The furnace would be faster I think? That would be nice so that I could just turn it on when I am there and save the gas.

I am leaning towards new because of the simple installation. If so I might take the blower out of the furnace and choke it down to blow air around the shop. But looking for your thoughts. It's finally getting cold here and going to need something soon.

Jeff I guess no one wants to answer your question but I guess its what you really want to use a radiant heater is just what it implys if your in the path of radiation you will be warmed and the equipment in the path of radiation ,a gas furnace works by convection the heated air is circulated through out the space and heat is transfer from the air to the items ,walls etc. in the space the shop would probably be heated more quickly by the furnace the air that is,plus you would have the added benefit of filtration dust control down side would be open flame of burner assuming the combustion area is open to your shop space, hope this helps with your decision

I chose the wall heater

Jeff,

I just went thru the same process. Have a friend in the HVAC business who was going to give me a used furnace.

I was not to impressed with using forced air. It seems to me that it would be more costly to heat this way than radient. (no proof. just gut feeling). considering the concrete mass and the metal walls and cast iron tools, it seems that the space should be pretty nice once it is warmed up.

I opted for the wall mounted heater. I got the radient panels instead of the blue flame. Non-vented. Moisture may be an issue. (Have a friend that said his is not a problem as long as he keeps the heat relatively constant. 50 f when he is not using and 65 f when he does.)

LP dealer installing the tank next week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jeff,

I just went thru the same process. Have a friend in the HVAC business who was going to give me a used furnace.

I was not to impressed with using forced air. It seems to me that it would be more costly to heat this way than radient. (no proof. just gut feeling). considering the concrete mass and the metal walls and cast iron tools, it seems that the space should be pretty nice once it is warmed up.

I opted for the wall mounted heater. I got the radient panels instead of the blue flame. Non-vented. Moisture may be an issue. (Have a friend that said his is not a problem as long as he keeps the heat relatively constant. 50 f when he is not using and 65 f when he does.)

LP dealer installing the tank next week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jeff, I think you made a wise choice! I have an electric radient heater in my shop, and I'm very pleased with the way it performs. I like the idea of heat without a lot of air blowing around. Let us know how you like it.

Oh BTW, when it's winter and the air gets real dry, a little moisture from a heater may be a good thing! Just a thought....

So far its worked ok

i have been using one of the radiant heaters and where i am at it gets chilly, used to let it go out and then heat it up when i was gonna be there. bad idea,, the mosture turned cast iron red quickly, since that enlightning expeirence i have sens left it on low worked much better last year, am gonna enlarge the shop this spring and will be going to something else. the fumes from a ventless heater can be bad if it doesnt have the air it needs
before leaving it set at low and turning it up when i got in the shop it would sometme make your eyes burn. to much gas not enough air.. so my vote is go vented with air intake. empire makes one, they are higher priced than the unvented but i feel there better al around,

I know another Stu from Canada on another forum, no, not that one, that put a radiant heater in his shop, his hangs from the ceiling, and he just loves it, says it really works well.

FYI :wave: