Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: winter is hanging in

winter is hanging in

Last night we had all kinds of dire winter storm warnings. This a.m. when I got up, there was barely a dusting of snow on the ground. I scoffed and said 'we escaped again'. Well, somebody heard me. Just then the sky started falling. In the past two hours we have gotten about 1 1/2" of snow and it is still coming strong. Five inches or more predicted. No matter, Momma and I are retarded.....er.....retired, have food, water, back up heat and no commitments to go anywhere. I'm still in my robe and fuzzy fur slippers. Might stay that way all day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snow.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    ... No matter, Momma and I are retarded.....er.....retired, have food, water, back up heat and no commitments to go anywhere. I'm still in my robe and fuzzy fur slippers. Might stay that way all day.
    Ain't retirement great? When we were retiring, and moving from Southern California to Northeast Ohio, the thing we got asked the most was 'How are you going to handle the winter weather?' My response was "Hey, we're retired. If I get up in the morning and look out the window at a bunch of snow I'll just say 'My, ain't that purty' and go back to bed."

The fridge, freezer and pantry are well stocked, and we can stay in for days if need be. The only shoveling I generally do is a path from the house to the shop.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Ain't retirement great? When we were retiring, and moving from Southern California to Northeast Ohio, the thing we got asked the most was 'How are you going to handle the winter weather?' My response was "Hey, we're retired. If I get up in the morning and look out the window at a bunch of snow I'll just say 'My, ain't that purty' and go back to bed."

The fridge, freezer and pantry are well stocked, and we can stay in for days if need be. The only shoveling I generally do is a path from the house to the shop.
    We learn quick at our age, don't we?

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I'm still in my robe and fuzzy fur slippers.
    Dang, Frank, that was one visual I really didn't need. I've already seen you in your turning gear and that was scary enough.

Just got home from the office. It's usually a 30-45 minute drive in peak traffic, today it was 1 hour and 45 minutes.

We have already received 5 to 6 inches and are expecting more. Cleaning the driveay tomorrow should be fun.

Randy

Getting hit pretty good here right now. Supposed to go over to Larry's tonight but the weather may put a stop to that.

Building a 40x64 pole barn for a customer and it has been a challenge getting things done. Shingles were supposed to be delivered today but with all the snow we are getting, I doubt the bundles would stay up on the roof.

Back around Christmas we almost lost the barn due to high winds

But we managed to get it all straightend back up. It took about a extra week to get it back to the shape before the wind damage.

So as it sits today trusses set, osb on roof and walls....just waiting for this nasty weather to leave so we can get the shingles on and move on to vinyl siding.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Burt View Post
    Dang, Frank, that was one visual I really didn't need. I've already seen you in your turning gear and that was scary enough.
    Don't worry, Billy. I keep the front tied closed.....most of the time.
    And my slippers are really neat things from Alaska, real cozy warm.
    We got more snow last night but I'm going to get out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    Getting hit pretty good here right now. Supposed to go over to Larry's tonight but the weather may put a stop to that.
    Come on, Steve! you tell us you're getting "hit pretty good" and then you post photos that have NO snow in them!!

Here is my front yard, out the LR window at 7:45am.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	storm.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	17390

We're under a Winter Storm warning here covering all of Southern and Eastern Ontario. it's coming from Indiana, so I have to believe that my neighbours in MI/OH are getting it also. 15-30cm of snow in the forecast, and maybe freezing rain or ice pellets. Schools closed all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Come on, Steve! you tell us you're getting "hit pretty good" and then you post photos that have NO snow in them!!
    You are correct that the pictures show no snow.....but I did say

"Back around Christmas we almost lost the barn due to high winds"

which was when those pics were taken.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Well I wish winter would hit here. Its on again, off again.

First we get 3 feet of snow, then it melts. We get another two feet and it melts. The same thing with this last two feet of snow. It melted in a 12 hour warm up period...just enough to ruin snowmobiling....then got cold again.

In the meantime, if you guys don't like snow,send it up our way. Snowmobiling is a 350 million dollar tourist season up here that Northern Maine folks rely on. It hardly seems fair that other businesses get huge sums of money from FEMA when rotten weather cripples their business. Two years ago FEMA laughed at a group of hotels, gas stations and restraunts when they said they were dying from the lack of snow. FEMA was like "so you want money because the winter was warm and sunny and no snow fell"....

I think I'll head off in my snowmobile and try to find the Great Snow Yetti and ask him what's up.

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"