Big Burl!!

Thats a chunk of wood alright - don't believe I would be willing to pay that kind of money for it though. Best of luck to you on your bid - looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it! :rofl:

Your post brings to mind.... what causes Burl?...:huh: I have been told it is a "Cancer" where wood fiber go nuts and grow uncontrolable, Others have said it is a way the tree cures an injury (Scab)

But the other day I was driving down a street in a near by "Mature" neighborhood and I couldn't help but notice that there were a hugh number of old Maples with rather large Burls on them, several had large protruding lumps that looked like you could slice off a Bowl Blank and not even effect the tree. :thumb:

Sort of like Mistletoe, If one tree has it growing, then several arround have it too, but you seldom see them all by themselves, Is it contagious?
(I know Mistletoe is spred by bird "Discharge" of the berrys on to the limbs of neighboring host trees)

Any wise person have a wed site in mind that knows the answer?

The problem I would have with that burl is that it is still really green, and you do not know if it will crack a lot as it dries, also, as the tree blew down, there could already be a ton of stress cracks in it. Now I understand that even with a bunch of cracks, in a large burl like that, there would still be an awful lot of turning stock, but still, a gamble. :huh:

I agree with Stu. That is a lot of money for a question mark. You have to think there would have been a lot of stress on it when the tree went down. Besides I wouldn't give that kind of money for it.

Yeah Bernie...in less than 40 toothpick holders, it's paid for. :p

I'd sure love to have something like that in my yard.