Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shock Shock Two more Toothpick Holders

Shock Shock Two more Toothpick Holders

Here are a couple more I made out of ambrosia maple. They are finished in lacquer per the customer. These were picked up today. Six more to go. Three to go with salt/pepper mills as sets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toothpick Holder 9.jpg   Toothpick Holder 10.jpg   Toothpick Holder 11.jpg  
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 02-02-2008 at 04:44 PM.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Those are beauties, Bernie. Nice to see that you're still making them now that you seem to have started quite a little rush on these things.

Hope to get time to make some myself in the next few days.

I like the burnt in detail on the one, neat.

Who will be the first to make a laminated one, or a segmented one
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Those are too cool, Bernie. With the dark finial and the ambrosia markings, it looks like the finial melted and ran down the side of the holder.

I need to make one with that flush lid, too. I was going from memory on mine and didn't get the top just right. They sure are fun, though.
    Cody

I'm impressed with the figure matching on those Bernie, very neat.
    Chas. just a traveller on the road of time.

Bits & Pieces Gallery
    My Web Site

Bernie,
    I hate to rain on your parade, but what's Wood Magazine's policy on using their plans/articles for financial gain?

Reason I mention it is that I posted pictures of a child's rocker that made on another site (but I won't mention SMC here). It was made from highly modified plans from a fifteen year old article in Wood Magazine.

One of the friendly (?) mods over there forwarded my pictures to Wood Mag, who then forwarded it to the article's author. I then got a somewhat nasty email informing me that since I'd already made two of these chairs, they must be being made for personal gain, and that she, the author, OWNED the design!

The only 'personal gain' I received from the chairs was the appreciation of the little kids I gave them to.

Now, I doubt that anyone here will ever forward (report) your work to Wood Mag or the article's author, but be careful...

'Nuff said.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

There was letter to the editor in Wood about this once. Don't remember which issue, I also don't remember what they said in the answer....Does anyone else?

Personally, I think since it was an article done by the staff of Wood there wouldn't be ownership like the lady with your rockers Jim?...the mag is published to show people like us how to do things, the video wouldn't be on their website either. If a tool store used the tool reviews in Wood to push a customer one way or another would that be "stealing" the idea from the mag?

PS: I forgot to say Well Done Bernie
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I guess I didn't give it a second thought Jim. Reason being is why would they put templates in the article or have a video to show how it is done with all the dimensions given. Sounds to me like I had better stop production. Thanks Jim for the heads up and thanks everyone for the comments.
    Bernie W.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I do not know, but I VERY much doubt that the design is "Unique" to Wood Mag, I suspect that this design has been around for a LONG time. In the video, they do NOT show how to do various steps, like how they attach the basket to the dowel to the top to the finial. I use a shop turned dowel, and I hollow out my body after drilling, so my method changes it from what they show.

I very much doubt that you are in violation of anything Bernie, but it is a good subject to bring up, so thanks for that Jim.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I have a e-mail and just asked them. My granddad said how ya going to know if you don't ask. I will post the answer when I find out. I guess I really don't understand if these "expert" turners write articles, books, make video's and DVD's on how to make this stuff complete with material lists and tools how can they claim I will show you but it is mine so don't make it. Guess I am just a old simple country boy and don't understand.
    Bernie W.