Recent cabinet installation

Chris Mire

here is a recent job i did. first job where i used the mitered raised panel doors. the whole house was stain grade alder. i did not do the doors i ordered them as usual. did not do the finish but i must say for an onsite finish this guy did an incredible job. he did one coat of a custom stain, then a sanding sealer, then a tinted top coat. helped alot with the blotching.

overall i am very happy with this job. the is the first time i did cabs to the ceiling with the glass at the top. i think it came out pretty nice.

i didn't do the crown on the kitchen cabs because it was in the trim guy's bid. but he did a good job.

the last pics shows what i do with my toe kicks now when i bring my end panels and stiles to the floor, i add that lil 45 to help with cleaning

thanks for lookin
chris

DSC_1223.JPG

DSC_1224.JPG

DSC_1225.JPG

DSC_1226.JPG

DSC_1227.JPG

DSC_1228.JPG

DSC_1229.JPG

DSC_1231.JPG

DSC_1232.JPG

Hi Chris :wave:,

This is a job to be proud of. You have alot of work in this beauty. Even with out sourcing the doors, (which I do sometimes too) and leaving the trim man do the crown, you have prepared a wonderful foundation upon which the fu fu fits nicely.

Your island will work very well with the pull out spice/utility trays and the glass top doors add alot :D. Nice job with the refridgerator location, very handsome.

It is a good looking and practical way to end your toe kick, very nice from both sides.

Congratulations Chris:thumb:, well done.
Shaz:)
Vanities too, nice job!

Very nice work Chris. Not very many finish carpenters take the time to finish off the toe kick area nicely. That is one of the first things I look at when I go into a kitchen. This is definately a job to be proud of Chris. Any chance to find out the stain the finisher used? I wanted a stain that looks exactly like that for my theater units, but the stain I mixed turned out to be orange-ish/red. If you could find out what he used I would really appreciate it. Thanks for sharing, and again, great job! Regards, Bill

shaz, thanks....you sure have a way with words, were you a writer in aprevious profession?

i appreciate the nice comments

thanks darren

jim, for your sake, i hope she doesn't either. that was alot of work.
thank you

bill, thank you...i will try to find out the stain color, but i'll warn you up front he mixed a custom color to match the clients bar stools. it only took 5 tries to get something they liked....:eek:
he also shot a tinted sealer after the stain to even out the color

jim, they are very happy, which makes me happy, more so because it is a childhood friend, who just happens to still be a neighbor of my parents. that is the best part of my job, seeing their reaction when i make there dream kitchen come to life. well most times anyway..:)

thanks for the comments everyone.

the next job will be even nicer than this one, and then the next.....stay tuned

chris

Excellent job Chris!! What do you think about mitered doors? There are several guys here in CA specifically building mitered doors only. Many shops have the CNC miter door machines which cuts the miters and does the mortise and tenon... makes it almost foolproof. They either buy their moulding for the rails and stiles or run it on a moulder. Personally I think it's a nicer door when done right.

Looks like you had to do a traditional cope and stick raised panel for the finished end on the one upper in the picture. Did you get a price to do a mitered panel with a straight rail between? I did on one job and it was very cost prohibitive.

Anyway looks nice and classy.

Doug

shaz, well my philosophy, if i can say i have one, is that every job should be a little better than the last because of things learned. it may just be that i learned a quicker way to do it for the next go round.

but in this instance, the next set has a few nicer features. which may make it nicer to some and may not to others.

for the one after that, well....we'll just have to wait and see what comes of it
;)

doug, i love!! the mitered doors. truly, it disappoints me a little to look at these cabs and know i did them, not because they don't look great. but because they look great (to my eye) and i think alot of it comes from the doors, they are just incredible. and i did not build them.

i use a very reputable company here in the south, they are the largest door comp that i know of around here. their doors are usually flawless and these were no exception.

i did use a traditional C&S panel, because to be honest it never crossed my mind to use a mitered panel. i have seen a shop near by do a regular face frame on the end and attach a door to it. but, it looks like there are doors on the side of the cabinet, and i don't like it.

what i may do next time, is what i saw in another house, where they built a frame out of 1" material, then ordered a door to fit the inside of the frame. nailed the frame to the side of the cabinet and stuck the door in the hole. it looked quite good, but i am gonna try to come up with my own way of doing it. the way they handled the break from the lower doors to the upper doors was to separate that frame on the side into two pieces that matched the front. but that means ordering two mitered doors per exposed end. those doors, cost me 41-47 bucks a piece depending on size.
but to answer your question, i need to ask the door company if they can place a stile in the middle to break it. not sure how they would do it or how it would look.

personally i am not sure that the mitered look is needed on the sides.

thanks for the compliment.
chris

Chris I have a question regarding the end panels shown on the upper wall cabinets? Are they an applied panel or built with the cabinet as a working side?
Is the end butted to the face frame like a smooth panel or did you miter it?

Doug

hey doug

all of my end panels are done as applied panels, there is a plywood side behind that panel. not sure why i do it that way except that is the way i was taught. i have seen it done where the panel is the structural side though. this gets tricky when you have adjustable shelves, which i had in the upper section and which i have now decided to switch to in all my cabinets.

i butted it to the back of the face frame. never seen anyone do the mitered joint there. sounds like alot of work but i bet the look would be great.

how would you secure the joint if it was mitered? we still glue and nail face frames to boxes here, i think when i build my personal cabinets for my house in a few months i will experiment with pocket screwing the frame on. i could do this and hide the holes on the sides that don't show and behind the applied end panels. only place i couldn't hide them would be on a plywood end.

sorry that was more info than you asked for but i was basically thinking in text....

so how do you do your end panels?

chris

Great job Chris!:thumb:

Only a question that may have been asked already. Do you apply your finishes? or have them done by somebody else?

Keep up with the good job!

very nice chris

and thanks for all the extra info.. i also like your toe kick method.. your philospy is a good one make the next one better is always going to make you better. when you stop steeping out you stop learning

hey doug

all of my end panels are done as applied panels, there is a plywood side behind that panel. not sure why i do it that way except that is the way i was taught. i have seen it done where the panel is the structural side though. this gets tricky when you have adjustable shelves, which i had in the upper section and which i have now decided to switch to in all my cabinets.

i butted it to the back of the face frame. never seen anyone do the mitered joint there. sounds like alot of work but i bet the look would be great.

how would you secure the joint if it was mitered? we still glue and nail face frames to boxes here, i think when i build my personal cabinets for my house in a few months i will experiment with pocket screwing the frame on. i could do this and hide the holes on the sides that don't show and behind the applied end panels. only place i couldn't hide them would be on a plywood end.

sorry that was more info than you asked for but i was basically thinking in text....

so how do you do your end panels?

chris

Chris I do them the same way but don't always like the outcome. I build the end panel like a door with no edge detail. But I build it full width of the cabinet. Then I rip 3/4" off the outside stile so that when attached behind the face frame the look is a full stile look of the door. The reason I don't like it is because the grain match doesn't usually look good. In your pictures I couldn't quite tell which way you did it, plus the dark stain makes it a little difficult to notice.

When I do a euro job its a little different. I build an actual door and then attach it to the side of the cabinet bringing it clear out flush to the edge detail of the working door.

Mitering looks good but is a lot of work. I'm going to be doing some furniture style freestanding cabinets and I will try and get a few pics of the process. Just miter and put biscuits and glue.

Your other idea of a frame and inset door sounds good but I don't quite understand how it fits/attaches to the side panel of the cabinet.

Doug

thanks toni,

now i don't apply finishes for my work, i do my own personal finishes for things for my home but i am still learning. i also don't have a great place to do finishes. but soon when i move to my shop i hope to section off some of dad's for that purpose.

larry,

thanks, i agree. i don't ever wanna stop learning how to do this stuff better.

i am still not to the level of quality i want to be able to produce, partly because of my skill level and partly because the demand for that type of quality isn't very high around here. so i can't afford to put the best materials in my cabinets. people are more interested in price and speed. it's really a shame, but i'm hoping i can change some of that.

chris

doug,

please post if you can, even if it's after your done. i never can find the time to post during a project, just too many things going on.

as for the method of using the frame with the door inside. it is just like what we do, the frame would represent the end panel that we apply. and the door would sit inside the frame and be either nailed or screwed from behind to the plywood side.

i have a picture of one, i will try to post it when i get back to my laptop.

i am about to do a job with a lot of "furniture" style cabs as well. lots of legs and feet and stuff. i am still trying to design my one of a kind furniture style. i may try some of my new methods on this upcoming job.

thanks
chris