Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent cabinet installation

Recent cabinet installation

here is a recent job i did. first job where i used the mitered raised panel doors. the whole house was stain grade alder. i did not do the doors i ordered them as usual. did not do the finish but i must say for an onsite finish this guy did an incredible job. he did one coat of a custom stain, then a sanding sealer, then a tinted top coat. helped alot with the blotching.

overall i am very happy with this job. the is the first time i did cabs to the ceiling with the glass at the top. i think it came out pretty nice.

i didn't do the crown on the kitchen cabs because it was in the trim guy's bid. but he did a good job.

the last pics shows what i do with my toe kicks now when i bring my end panels and stiles to the floor, i add that lil 45 to help with cleaning

thanks for lookin
    chris

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1223.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	17418

Name:	DSC_1224.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	17419

Name:	DSC_1225.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	17420

Name:	DSC_1226.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	17421

Name:	DSC_1227.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	17422

Name:	DSC_1228.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	17423

Name:	DSC_1229.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	17424

Name:	DSC_1231.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	17425

Name:	DSC_1232.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	17426

Hi Chris ,

This is a job to be proud of. You have alot of work in this beauty. Even with out sourcing the doors, (which I do sometimes too) and leaving the trim man do the crown, you have prepared a wonderful foundation upon which the fu fu fits nicely.

Your island will work very well with the pull out spice/utility trays and the glass top doors add alot . Nice job with the refridgerator location, very handsome.

It is a good looking and practical way to end your toe kick, very nice from both sides.

Congratulations Chris, well done.
    Shaz
    Vanities too, nice job!
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

You do wonderful work Chris, that is something to be proud of.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

nice work chris

i sure hope my wife doesn't ever see this post i would be in BIG trouble
    what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY

Very nice work Chris. Not very many finish carpenters take the time to finish off the toe kick area nicely. That is one of the first things I look at when I go into a kitchen. This is definately a job to be proud of Chris. Any chance to find out the stain the finisher used? I wanted a stain that looks exactly like that for my theater units, but the stain I mixed turned out to be orange-ish/red. If you could find out what he used I would really appreciate it. Thanks for sharing, and again, great job! Regards, Bill

Looks gorgeous Chris
    I'll bet the clients are very impressed

Thanks for sharing
    --------------
    Cheers! - Jim

shaz, thanks....you sure have a way with words, were you a writer in aprevious profession?

i appreciate the nice comments

thanks darren

jim, for your sake, i hope she doesn't either. that was alot of work.
    thank you

bill, thank you...i will try to find out the stain color, but i'll warn you up front he mixed a custom color to match the clients bar stools. it only took 5 tries to get something they liked....
    he also shot a tinted sealer after the stain to even out the color

jim, they are very happy, which makes me happy, more so because it is a childhood friend, who just happens to still be a neighbor of my parents. that is the best part of my job, seeing their reaction when i make there dream kitchen come to life. well most times anyway..

thanks for the comments everyone.

the next job will be even nicer than this one, and then the next.....stay tuned

chris

When asked (I have heard tell ) "What is your finest work?"
    Michaelangelo replied "The next one!"
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Excellent job Chris!! What do you think about mitered doors? There are several guys here in CA specifically building mitered doors only. Many shops have the CNC miter door machines which cuts the miters and does the mortise and tenon... makes it almost foolproof. They either buy their moulding for the rails and stiles or run it on a moulder. Personally I think it's a nicer door when done right.

Looks like you had to do a traditional cope and stick raised panel for the finished end on the one upper in the picture. Did you get a price to do a mitered panel with a straight rail between? I did on one job and it was very cost prohibitive.

Anyway looks nice and classy.

Doug

shaz, well my philosophy, if i can say i have one, is that every job should be a little better than the last because of things learned. it may just be that i learned a quicker way to do it for the next go round.

but in this instance, the next set has a few nicer features. which may make it nicer to some and may not to others.

for the one after that, well....we'll just have to wait and see what comes of it

doug, i love!! the mitered doors. truly, it disappoints me a little to look at these cabs and know i did them, not because they don't look great. but because they look great (to my eye) and i think alot of it comes from the doors, they are just incredible. and i did not build them.

i use a very reputable company here in the south, they are the largest door comp that i know of around here. their doors are usually flawless and these were no exception.

i did use a traditional C&S panel, because to be honest it never crossed my mind to use a mitered panel. i have seen a shop near by do a regular face frame on the end and attach a door to it. but, it looks like there are doors on the side of the cabinet, and i don't like it.

what i may do next time, is what i saw in another house, where they built a frame out of 1" material, then ordered a door to fit the inside of the frame. nailed the frame to the side of the cabinet and stuck the door in the hole. it looked quite good, but i am gonna try to come up with my own way of doing it. the way they handled the break from the lower doors to the upper doors was to separate that frame on the side into two pieces that matched the front. but that means ordering two mitered doors per exposed end. those doors, cost me 41-47 bucks a piece depending on size.
    but to answer your question, i need to ask the door company if they can place a stile in the middle to break it. not sure how they would do it or how it would look.

personally i am not sure that the mitered look is needed on the sides.

thanks for the compliment.
    chris