Joint Genie

Alex Reid

Just purchased this neat little dowelling jig called Joint Genie. I had been wanting to buy a good dowel jig for a while now. The price of the pound now is a bit expensive but this tool is a winner. I bought the metric size; they are making it in imperial as well.

Here is a link to a YouTube vid by the owners.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v6fIrMNPwqk

And here are a couple of photos from what arrived in the mail yesterday.

8mm Craftsman Set
jointgenie1.jpg

jointgenie2.jpg

I thought making one would be not too difficult if I had the right tools. But I'm set up for wood not steel. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but will get there soon. I don't think there is a distributor in N.A. I ordered mine direct from the web site. Shipping took about a week. Cost was 80 quid. :wave:

http://www.joint-genie.co.uk/home_page.html

Hi Alex,

Nice tool. But, We don't have any "Quid" here in Hawaii. Would squid do? :rofl:

I guess I better check the monitary exchange on this. :huh:

Looking forward to what you make using this. If you do your usual, it's got to be great. :thumb:

Aloha, Tony

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind me popping in here but I though I would let you know that Joint-genie now have an Imperial tool and an American website.

www.joint-genie.com

I have been using the metric one for a few years now and have been very impressed with it I hope you guys like the new ones in old fashioned inches:D

Ralph;)

Hey Alex, digging up this old thread, I might be in the market for this kind of tool, what do you think of it, now that you have had it for a while....... I hope you have had a chance to use it :D

Stu it seems mighty expensive for what it is. They break all the thickness into different tools or you get the all in one kit and its 100 pounds. Seems very expensive for a bar with holes drilled in it that was probably done on a cnc. Thats around $155 US at todays exchange rate.:eek:

Dunno "What" it is exactly, it looks like something you could make, but that also takes time, and money, square steel stock does not grow on trees, and there is that old time thing. I'm confident that I could make a good copy of this jig, but it would not be hardened steel, and it would NOT be as well built.

Our exchanger rate is a lot better than what you are getting as well.

I'm looking at the 6mm Jobber unit, which is only 40 GBP, or about 5,650 yen,with delivery. I pay more than that by a fair bit for a 10" saw blade, so I don't think it is that over priced.

By the time I buy a good 6mm brad point bit, 750 yen, and a collar, as well as some bolts and the chunk of steel, heck, I'm almost halfway to the price of the tool, then I have to build it, and futz around with it.

Nope, for my money, this may be one time that I'm better off just buying the darn thing.
:dunno:

How's the price compare to the Dowelmax? I've got a dowelmax and I think it is an exceptionally well made jig. Works with no fiddling, right out of the box.

(DM is now sold by LVT, by the way. I think Amazon might also carry them.)

Wow I will keep quiet about the price of the joint genie after seeing the LV price for the dowelmax. :eek: Yikes.

Rob,

In the past 3 years on the forums, Matt Meiser -- who we see here regularly -- is the only person I know who bought a Dowelmax, tested it, regretted it, and returned it for a full refund. And HE turned around and bought a Festool Domino, so price was not the issue! :rofl: :rofl: On the other hand I've also seen a fair number of "you can have it when you can pry it out of my cold-dead-fingers comments from owners.

I've seen several threads (mostly on the Canadian WW Forum) where people go back and forth about the high cost. Clearly, people have to make their own decision on what they can and can't afford.

Fans of it tend to take the viewpoint of "buy once, cry once".

...art

Check this out. Only $20 on sale at Rockler
I'm going back to dowels after wasting time and wood with biscuits.

Can't get the sale flayer to load for some reason. Its called the "Dowel Pro" Reg. $50 on sale for $20. plus free shipping.

Last edited:
Chiming in a bit late on this but think my vote here is worth something. I bought it and can tell you it is a great little jig. It is probably the most used jig in my shop when I want quick and easy. That said I have also used the jig to build entire pieces. Easy to use right out of the box, very accurate and the joints are strong or as strong as you need depending on the number of dowels used. The bar design (as simplistic as it seems) also makes your doweling highly scalable. You can use the first row of dowels to establish the reference for the second row, ad infinitum, creating several rows of parallel dowels joints on one planar surface any size. I can recommend this jig. The cost didn't seem that pricey when I checked around for other jigs that did similar jobs.