Joint Genie

I'm confused, the 3/8 unit only is around 99 pounds, and the multi pro with 1/4, 3/8, 5/16 is 118 pounds? Seems like it'd be a no brainer to go the multi pro route, right?

Now lets see, whats the exchange rate... thats about 177$ right now...

Already blew this months tool budget, maybe next month... :D :thumb:

I agree with you, the shipping is free world wide, but I'm not stupid enough to think it is not in the price, and the shipping actual to Japan was 19 GBP. So I went with the more expensive kit, I do with I'd gotten the long bar too, as I don't have a biscuit jointer and this will be my go to for panel glue us from now on, dead simple.

Cheers!

I think there's a lot of jigs out there that could be either shop built or purchased. The Joint Genie looks like something that is deceptively simple. A bunch of holes in a square bar? Simple! But designing and accurately machining something like that is probably a bit more difficult than I could probably do in my shop.

What I like about it is that it definitely looks like a 'multi tasker'. My 'Dowel-It' is pretty much a single tasker, i.e. it goes to the center of a piece of wood quite well, if that's what I want.

I think Biscuit joiners were a bit oversold when they first came out. I think they are good for aligning panel glue ups, but anything more? I'm not too sure. Maybe doing some face frame work? For aligning the cabinet with the face frame. But joinery? Well, the shape is a little too long I'm thinking.

If all I were going to do was glue up panels, I'd use a biscuit joiner, or a dowel-it. But for doing off center joinery, I think the joint genie wins hands down. That is unless I wanted to step up to a domino... :eek:

Of course, I could just get a mortise machine, or chisels or do MxT... :huh: Lots of options, I reckon, just sometimes I look for easy. This current project I was looking for easy joinery, didn't really want to go full on MxT, and I had the dowel-it and some dowels laying around, and this thread had got me to thinking...

Last edited:
Stu, I don't disagree with your stance at all, and your points are very valid. You're correct that most shop made versions might be similar, but not as well-made or durable. (Carbide insert roughing tools and hollowing rigs are another example of shop-made tools that are similar, but not typically to the same level of quality as the commercial versions they're copying.) ;)

That said, the indexing idea could be duplicated in a shop-made jig pretty easily. That's mainly what I was alluding to in my previous post. If I had a single project that required a few rows of equal dowel holes, I'd be tempted to make a throwaway version out of soft steel (or even MDF or plywood). If I was planning to have and keep a tool for drilling dowel holes on multiple projects, I'd most likely be looking at one of the commercial jigs like the Dowel Genie. ;)

Lots of discussion on this deceptively simple yet seemingly overpriced jig. What I can say on top of what has already been discussed here is the two guys on this thread that have the jig like it and recommend it. I have bought lots of tools, jigs, machinery, etc and recommend this for its versatility and ease of use. The cost , I have just checked is now cheaper than when I bought it due to the exchange rate fluctuation. Stu, you got it for a way better price than I did and I am still happy with what I got.

BTW Stu if you want to get the long bar I will get one also and go halves on the shipping with you if you want.

Stu, I don't disagree with your stance at all, and your points are very valid. You're correct that most shop made versions might be similar, but not as well-made or durable. (Carbide insert roughing tools and hollowing rigs are another example of shop-made tools that are similar, but not typically to the same level of quality as the commercial versions they're copying.) ;)

That said, the indexing idea could be duplicated in a shop-made jig pretty easily. That's mainly what I was alluding to in my previous post. If I had a single project that required a few rows of equal dowel holes, I'd be tempted to make a throwaway version out of soft steel (or even MDF or plywood). If I was planning to have and keep a tool for drilling dowel holes on multiple projects, I'd most likely be looking at one of the commercial jigs like the Dowel Genie. ;)

I certainly agree with making your own for a quick jig, I've done this many times, but as Alex so positively recommended this jig, I thought it was time to spend the money and buy it, and I can tell you, for me, it is NOT over priced at all.

Alex, what size long bar do you want, I'll send the guy an e-mail.

Cheers!

I certainly agree with making your own for a quick jig, I've done this many times, but as Alex so positively recommended this jig, I thought it was time to spend the money and buy it, and I can tell you, for me, it is NOT over priced at all.

Alex, what size long bar do you want, I'll send the guy an e-mail.

Cheers!

Stu, the Craftsman comes with a long and a short. I would like the 8mm, long bar, which is 225mm in length. :type:

Alex two of the long 8mm long bars, shipping included is 84 GBP or about 11,200 yen so 5600 yen each. :dunno:

Stu, if you want to go for I will also. But if you want to hold off I understand. I have wanted another long bar for a while but don't really need it. I thought though if we share shipping it would be good. Exchange rate is excellent.

would either of you substitute dowels for weight bearing joints, like on a chair?(I dont think they are much stronger then biscuits, but the jig looks pretty easy to use for framing and things like that)

would either of you substitute dowels for weight bearing joints, like on a chair?(I dont think they are much stronger then biscuits, but the jig looks pretty easy to use for framing and things like that)

Allen,

Your post on weight bearing joints prompted me to do some checking. I posted a list of joints in order of strength. That said though not all joints need to be constructed with maximum strength.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?p=207004#post207004