Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turning persimmon

turning persimmon

I offered a woodturning friend an opportunity to help me haul some wood.
    Then I told him we would be sharing one large walnut tree and one, fairly large, persimmon tree. He declined the persimmon, just doesn't like turning it. Now, he an accomplished turner so I took note of his opinion. He said it simply is not suitable for decorative/artistic items. I have only turned pens from it so far and found it just fine. This tree has been down about a year so I expect it to fairly hard. Enney experience with turning persimmon out there? Opinions please.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank....I've never turned persimmon.....but my mother who lives in southern Indiana sends me via Fedex some frozen persimmons every year so I get my persimmon pudding. She ships me ripe ones BTW.
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Frank....I've never turned persimmon.....but my mother who lives in southern Indiana sends me via Fedex some frozen persimmons every year so I get my persimmon pudding. She ships me ripe ones BTW.
    Interesting. In the south, it is persimmon pie or cookies that are favored. Do cook before becoming over ripe. Then they turn to pure alum and are very puckery. Deer love the over ripe ones.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

It's the green ones that will have you puckered like a politician at a baby contest IMHO!
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    It's the green ones that will have you puckered like a politician at a baby contest IMHO!
    I'll try some next time I see them.

I've not turned any either, but I sure do like to eat them... A couple of years ago we went camping and our site was under a Persimmon tree (RIPE) and all night long we were visited by Skunks enjoying the fruits sitting in my boat, and if you eat too many ..... I'll not discribe what was all over the boat, the next morning.

But back to turning, I have heard that it is very hard and dense. I may be off key but I believe they used to use Persimmon for wood Babbits and Bearings due to the hardness.

Frank....another "southern" fruit..IIRC....that I haven't had in years is a paw-paw. In southern Illinois and Indiana we use to get them. Tasted like a sweet over-ripe banana if my old mind remembers correctly.
    Ken
    ------

I'd not seen or heard of Persimmon until I came to Japan, it is a fruit we just do not have in Canada. I don't particularly like them, but my kids love them, they are called "Kaki" here in Japan.

The wood is most famous for being used as golf club heads, way back when (eccentric turnings don't you know!). It also is well known for making mallets etc, but I understand it is fairly hard to come by.

I'd jump at the change to get some, and give it a whirl!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Any picks of the wood? Never heard of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    Any picks of the wood? Never heard of it before.
    Have a look here

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person.../persimmon.htm
    Chas. just a traveller on the road of time.

Bits & Pieces Gallery
    My Web Site