upholstery stapler - help needed

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Help! I have a job coming up that will require me to do a lot of stapling of upholstery (15 - 16" x 11' cushions for pews). I can't think of a better reason to go out and buy myself a new pneumatic stapler. :D:rofl:

Does anyone have any experience with these? care to make any recommendations? :dunno:

Help! I have a job coming up that will require me to do a lot of stapling of upholstery (15 - 16" x 11' cushions for pews). I can't think of a better reason to go out and buy myself a new pneumatic stapler. :D:rofl:

Does anyone have any experience with these? care to make any recommendations? :dunno:

Rennie,
A couple years ago, I had a (for me) large upholstery job to do, and - on the cheap - I got a (don't laugh) Sears Craftsman half-inch pneumatic stapler. That's half an inch between the legs of the staple. The gun will shoot staples up to 7/8" of an inch long. I used 9/16" staples to go through several layers of heavy cloth. I think I got the gun on sale for about $50.00. It did that job and several others since then quite well, ans - surprisingly - has never jammed.

I wanted one of those for years. My "Squeeze till the Carpel Tunnel collapses" manual T-50 Gun will do about all I want but I suffer afterwards. A friend was going to buy a Manual T-50 and I advised him to go with the electric as it was double price but laying on his back in the crawlspace hanging insulation made it worth the difference. (He did and thanked me later) Still I wanted "Air Power" but every project couldn't justify the cost when I had perfectly good manual.... A little over a year ago I got a Harbor Freight Sales ad and there it was Special for something like $14.95. MINE! I shouts and off to the HF and collect my booty. But I had no project or staples as I didn't buy any because I assumed that the T-50s I have would fit. But Power 1/2" crown staples are different. Later, I got some staples and played around some but no project, yet. This past Summer I was asked to recover 6 dining room chairs... Ah Ha! I've got the tool, and a dandy thing it turned out to be. No time at all I was able to cover those six chairs and was disappointed that the job was done. Then my Sister said my mom's chairs needed covering... Volunteer Here, another chance to use my Stapler.... What all this dribble was about is.... Harbor Freight normally has their 1/2" crown stapler on sale for $18-20 usually around $30 and it is a good deal, Works great and worth every saved penny. I know that if it were used in a professional manner, it probably wouldn't last too long but as a part timer user, it is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
NEW Type Tool (& Stealth Semi Gloat)

Rennie, I can't give you a user's report yet, because up to this point they have to be special ordered by an Arrow supplier, (and they're a little pricy), but Next week I hope to have mine in hand, as it has finally made it to my Daughter's house, (340 miles from me). Now.........what is it? (Stealth Gloat-I guess).:rolleyes::D One of my Christmas Presents, is the Arrow CT50, Professional Cordless Staple Gun.

The Tech data says it is powered by a 10.8V Lithium Ion Battery, and will shoot ALL of the standard T-50 staples, holds two tubes of staples at a time, will shoot "Up To" 1500 Staples on a charge, and has a built in LED guide light, adjustable drive depth, safety trigger switch, battery meter, etc, etc. (I certainly hope it works as advertised)

I have the Carpel Tunnel thing in both wrists and my manual T50 & others give me a lot of grief, so I decided to give it a try instead of a pneumatic stapler of this type, because on some projects, the air hose can be unwieldy, especially in tight places. They have been advertising it in some of the WW mags, (Amcn WWkr/Wood/and probably others, since about Oct or Nov, but I couldn't find ANY Dealer that had received any at Christmas, so I got Texas Tool Traders to order one for me, (since that was the suggested method on Arrow's website). I really couldn't understand WHY they had Advertised everywhere nearly two months before they even listed it in their product line on their website, and seemingly, had not made any effort to get them out to the dealers.:huh: None of the dozen dealers (both online dlrs and stores), that I talked to had ever heard of it until I told them about it.:dunno:

Note: I just mention this tool as a possible alternative to dragging a hose around, should the idea strike your fancy.

I will post a report when I get it, as I plan to use it first installing fiberglass insulation, and later upholstery, etc.

Last edited:
I bought the P-C US58 about a year ago. It has done everything I have asked it to and works like it is supposed to. I bought it on sale for about $50 and I they are going for around $90 now.
While looking on Amazon I found the Surebonder 9600 wire stapler for less than $30 if you are trying to do this on the inexpensive side.

I got a (don't laugh) Sears Craftsman half-inch pneumatic stapler. ... I think I got the gun on sale for about $50.00. It did that job and several others since then quite well, ans - surprisingly - has never jammed.
Won't hear any laughing come from me Jim! I'm a pretty strong believer in buying the best you can afford...if it makes some sense. For instance, I purchased my pinner from HF on sale for $13. Works well, does what I need it to do.

I wanted "Air Power" but every project couldn't justify the cost when I had perfectly good manual.... A little over a year ago I got a Harbor Freight Sales ad and there it was Special for something like $14.95. MINE! I shouts and off to the HF and collect my booty.
Bill, you've given me a good idea. Just might take a trip to HF some lunch break this week.:D

Rennie, I can't give you a user's report yet, because up to this point they have to be special ordered by an Arrow supplier, (and they're a little pricey), but Next week I hope to have mine in hand, as it has finally made it to my Daughter's house, (340 miles from me). .....is the Arrow CT50, Professional Cordless Staple Gun.

Note: I just mention this tool as a possible alternative to dragging a hose around, should the idea strike your fancy.

I will post a report when I get it, as I plan to use it first installing fiberglass insulation, and later upholstery, etc.
Looking forward to a full report Norm! I don't mind the air hose since I expect to use it here in my shop all the time. I have an electric stapler - shoots T-50, but it's pretty weak. It has trouble burying a 3/8' staple in homosote!

I bought the P-C US58 about a year ago. It has done everything I have asked it to and works like it is supposed to. I bought it on sale for about $50 and I they are going for around $90 now.
While looking on Amazon I found the Surebonder 9600 wire stapler for less than $30 if you are trying to do this on the inexpensive side.
The PC is one that caught my eye. I've also seen some Bostich and Senco units on eBay for well under $100. Giving those some thought too.:rolleyes:

I have a Porter Cable stapler - don't remember the model number. It's worked fine for me for the upholstery work I've done. I started out using tacks (with a hammer) - the PC stapler was light years better than the tacks.

Mike