Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whoops, but saved some KWs

Whoops, but saved some KWs

Wow, skated by this mess up unscathed, but it sure was close!!

As some of you remember I made a post about cutting some firewood since the price is so high. Well I got to get it out now while the ground is still frozen that way the wood is all nice and clean when I got to cut it into 16 inch lengths. Anyway I fire up my saw and tractor and head up the hill figuring I'll cut wood around the edge of the fields to keep it from encroaching.

Well one of the places thatis growing up is onthis little hill trapped between a field and the road. Some nice Ash there as well as some Black Cherry so I figured this would be a great place to start.

Well it might have been but the wind is blowing hard. I was on my 10th tree or so when the wind caught the tree, pushed it over backwards and I watched in horror as it went bouncing onto the powerlines.

Whoops.

So it makes this huge bang...so I wait for the inevitable limb chopper surge, and sure enough about 5 seconds later there is another big bang. So I get in my tractor drive down to the neighbors and ask him if he has power.

No.

So now I'm in trouble. I got a tree leaning on the line and no power to half the town. Figuring the powerline kicked a breaker, and if the power company shows up with no tree on the line, there's no evidence saying I did anything wrong. The wind was howling so anything could have tripped it.

So I take my tractor and pull the tree off the line and push all the limbs and brush into a big pile. I then decide I better hang around if the power company shows up, but I decide to cut somewhere other then beside some powerlines. Three hours later I see some Supervisor drive by, real slow looking for limbs on the powerline. About half an hour later he drives back by, but the power is back on and no one is the wiser.

That was close, but I figured I saved half the town some KW's. I just don't want to be responsible for the baby boom that results in 10 months since there was nothing to do this afternoon
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 02-27-2008 at 09:23 AM.

10 months? Life really does move a little slower in Maine, eh....?

Power lines sound kinda scary. I'm glad it all worked out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Burton View Post
    Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Burton View Post
    It used to be accepted that pregnancy was 9 months, but its actually ten months. When they give you a due date now, they calculate some stuff in, then calculate for a 10 month pregnancy. I'm not being smart here, I just forgot that the wife's pregnancy happened quite a few years back for most people.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Not so Luck Travis as I'm from the power company amd your busted.

Ok just kidding.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

I was thinking about this last night. What I should have done was when the power went out, cut wood in that area like a son of a gun, tipping as many trees over as I could so I could clean up the area. If another tree went over backwards at least the power was off and I would not be in any more trouble.

Oh well I got out of this mess alright...better not to press my luck.

The thing is though. The power company used to keep their lines cut back, but ever since that put in that limb chopper circuit breaker, it takes something pretty big to make the power go out. They have no intention of cutting brush when electricity can do it for them.

Travis, you sure do live on the edge. Your still feeling the pain from the lake accident, now your trippin on (off) 13,000 volts. What's next???Can't imagine the stories from your younger days.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Hungler View Post
    Travis, you sure do live on the edge. Your still feeling the pain from the lake accident, now your trippin on (off) 13,000 volts. What's next???Can't imagine the stories from your younger days.
    I'd tell you, but there are no statue of limitations on some laws you know.

Not meaning to throw rocks....but whatever happened to the notion of accepting the responsibility for ones actions?
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.