Larry's new shop pics

Steve Ash

Since Larry has fell behind in keeping us updated with pics of his new shop,

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3710

I made my way over to get a firsthand look and take some pictures. It was dark by the time we made it to Larry's but with the help of Larry's new neighbors house lights the area was well lit up and had no problems making it out to the new shop after a quick first stop at the kitchen for some pizza and a cold soda.

It is obvious that Larry put a great deal of thought into arranging his shop for work flow and space to work. Larry asked a lot of questions here on this forum about what people thought of different aspects of a shop environment, so those of you that commented had a hand in his design.

I can remember some years ago going to a woodworking demonstration at a fellow woodworkers shop and Larry telling me that after looking at this guys shop and how well it was laid out that he might as well just give up......Well Larry, in my eyes you just made a shop comparable to the one you uttered those words about years ago....you did yourself proud bozz.

Following are pics that I took of his shop as you come through the front door you can look around and see this.

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture009.jpg

A peek into his office where he keeps tabs on all that goes on here at Family Woodworking.

Picture003.jpg

Inside his finishing room.

Picture010.jpg

and the last one in the finishing room.

Picture004.jpg

My camera was giving me battery troubles or else I would have gotten pictures of Larry's wood stash, air compressor and dust collection system....maybe next time.

Nice shop Larry, I know you are proud to have it and it holds special meanings of having your family and friends have a hand in helping you, especially the time you spent with your loyal and benevolent main helper, your dad!:thumb:

Looks great, except where's all the clutter? You've got a lot of horizontal surfaces there without any junk on them!! :D If you need some useless stuff to scatter around, I'll send you some of mine. :thumb: Maybe that way I can see my horizontal surfaces again.:rofl:
Again, it looks great. It is obvious that you planned things out very clearly, and implemented that plan. ENJOY!! Jim.

WOW!!!!!!

You've come a long way since Septober Larry, especially with all the interruptions with neighbors, nere do wells and most importantly deer season. Well done. :thumb:

Thanks for taking the time to document the progress Steve. I do wish you could have gotten a couple of pictures of the neighbors place though. ;):eek::D

Karl

LOOKIN GOOD LARRY!!!

Courious minds needed to know, and now we do.
Just as figured, the shop looks incredible. Great layout/space management :thumb: Now start makin sum dust :D

later Tom

One thing though, you might need some new lookers if you need that ladder to read the clock :D :rofl:

Also, Thanks Steve for the update

Last edited:
well thanks to yall:)

as my good friend steve said i asked alot of questions from alot of you, and by doing so you are all a part in my dream. so anything you see that resembles your idea take credit and thanks for passin it on.. also thanks to dave richards for the help in skecthup ideas and help in learin the program well enouff to play with layout.. still have alot ideas that arent there yet so your turn will come if you dont see something that i asked you abot.. glad you could come steve,, and of you in my area are welcome too.. good thing its the keyboard that i am doing this thank you or we would have few water breaks..raining as i type.. oh one more thing the feature that makes the most for me is the pictures and time i had and am having with my dad and brother.. those pictures in the office area are them and the day crew that helped on the trusses... thanks dad even thou you will never see this.. my heart goes out to you....

Thanks Steve for the Pictures of Larry's new shop. As Glen said, that is a very good layout for the radial arm saw and the miter saw.

Larry, are you going to paint your OSB walls?
They look kind of nice in the pictures. The only thing I might not like is the shop will not be as bright as if the walls were white.

Was using the OSB cheaper then doing sheet rock?

And did you nail the OSB to the studs or did you use screws?

Thanks for taking the time to document the progress Steve. I do wish you could have gotten a couple of pictures of the neighbors place though.

You are most welcome. I'm not sure I could take pics of the neighbors house Karl, they have an equivalent to lighthouse beacons shining over to Larrys yard. It would be like a picture of just white light. They must have a direct link to the power company....must be they are suspiscous of the residents in the area.:eek:

Tom, Larry has his glasses by the table saw for close work....maybe he really has them to climb up that ladder and look at the clock.

Larry, I know what you mean about them water breaks.....happens to the best of us.:thumb:

Thanks for the Pics, Steve, and Larry, it looks great. The layout is good and it looks like you have good space to work and move around, and have been making good progress getting the equipment, benches and tables built and set up. It's amazing how bright the area is, even with only the ceiling painted white.

Annnnnnnnd..........(you KNOW that I'm envious every time I see someone's shop that has Electrical Outlets, and...... they WORK).:D:thumb:

Droooooool. So much space for one man. Larry, please box some up and send it to those of us that need it. (Stu first!)

well rennie i would share it with you but i not those dungeon folk they are accustomed to tight qtrs and city dwellun we need them to stay in those areaas to keep ours more open:D:rofl: got one neighbor now that i dont need.

Man look at all that space, do you have a scooter to drive from one workstation to the next :D

It's OK about not sending me any of that space, it would just drive up my property taxes :rolleyes: :wave:

Great job of getting them pics Steve!:thumb: