The epidemic is spreading

Chas Jones

_________ ___ ___
______________Beech & Cocobola________________(130mm High)

I like that shape, Chas...especially the knob/finial on top. I also think it's cool and lots-o-fun to see the different designs being "turned" out. Keep it up!

Knocked that one up this morning whilst awaiting a 'phone call re. expected visitors, just to get my head around how to proceed.:huh:

Might know I've now been given instructions to make several more :doh:

Like the idea of making base cup deeper to avoid spilling, also working on alternates to limit cup withdrawal, have visions of spills everywhere from an over enthusiastic dinner guest, just don't favour putting a pin in from the side at the moment.

Nicely done on all of them, Chas.

Knocked that one up this morning ...
Ah, the subtle differences between British and American English euphemisms. :D Over here we'd say "knocked out". "Knocked up" has a slightly different meaning...involving pregnancy. :rofl:

Ah, the subtle differences between British and American English euphemisms. :D Over here we'd say "knocked out". "Knocked up" has a slightly different meaning...involving pregnancy. :rofl:

Ahh, that is an age related difference here, I'm a recycled teenager so still tend use the pre 1960's euphemisms.:)

Ahh, that is an age related difference here, I'm a recycled teenager so still tend use the pre 1960's euphemisms.:)
No worries, we all understood what you meant. :D

I was thinking the other day about how to a kid today, the 60's are as far back in time as the 20's and 30s were to my generation. They look at disco music the same way we looked at Glenn Miller. Something our folks listened to, but way too old for us. Tis interesting, this growing old stuff. ;)

Chas, instead of a pin, how about turning a sleeve and gluing it in similar to the pen tubes? Could make it out of contrasting wood. My other though, cut the bottom half or two thirds deeper (for the cup to ride in). This would cause you to glue in a bottom in order to put the cup in. Just my thoughts on your idea.

Chas, instead of a pin, how about turning a sleeve and gluing it in similar to the pen tubes? Could make it out of contrasting wood. My other though, cut the bottom half or two thirds deeper (for the cup to ride in). This would cause you to glue in a bottom in order to put the cup in. Just my thoughts on your idea.

I'm thinking about making a stop ring that fits snugly in the holder...something about 1/4" tall x 1/8" thick. Place the basket and dowel inside the holder, slide the ring over the dowel and glue it into place then glue the top onto the dowel.

The stop ring would need to be positioned so that it was below the top of the toothpicks when the lid was all the way down. That would keep the toothpicks from hanging on it when the lid was lifted up.

With a stop ring, the basket wouldn't even have to be a basket. It could simply be a disc since you wouldn't be lifting it all the way out.

I been thinking on this even before Chas mentioned it. I think I'll give it a go today. :D

With a stop ring, the basket wouldn't even have to be a basket. It could simply be a disc since you wouldn't be lifting it all the way out.

I'm not sure that would work, Cody, as I believe the end of the toothpick - at least the ones sharpened on both ends - would jam between the side of the disc and the wall of the holder unless you have incredibly tight tolerances in the fit.:dunno::huh:
Hope it works for you though.:thumb:

This is kinda what I had in mind, where the blue items are pieces of contrasting wood inserted into drilled holes. You could use 3, 4, 6 of them ... whatever. In fact, only one of them would need to penetrate the cylinder wall.... :dunno:

ToothpickHolder_IdeaForStop.gif

Please ignore the outer shape and the finial. MS Paint isn't the easiest tool to get creative with. :doh:

......... My other though, cut the bottom half or two thirds deeper (for the cup to ride in).

What do they say about great minds:D.

______________Yew & Cocobola________________(125mm High)

Bored the lower 2/3 about 1/8" bigger than top third. cup is now captive in lower half, closed base with thin disk of wood.

Hey, that works fine. Well done! :thumb:

This design precludes the "all one piece" inner assembly, but nobody has been very keen on that idea so far anyway. :dunno:

WELL DONE CHAS!!!!!!!!!!! I have had plenty of shop time at school with my kids, but not one on one time with me and my lathe!! Living vicariously(sp) through you on this project!!!!!!!

No worries, we all understood what you meant. :D

I was thinking the other day about how to a kid today, the 60's are as far back in time as the 20's and 30s were to my generation. They look at disco music the same way we looked at Glenn Miller. Something our folks listened to, but way too old for us. Tis interesting, this growing old stuff. ;)

I don't know about You Vaughn I still don't look at Disco. :rofl: So what is wrong with Glen Miller anyways :dunno:my 17 yr old thinks he is fantastic?:thumb: