All You Vets Out There Please Read This

Stuart Ablett

A buddy here is DoD, he sent me this and asked I pass it along to you Vets............

DD-214's are NOW Online

This is good news to many of us; especially those of us who have lost that very important document, DD-214 relating to our military service.

Its official, DD-214's are NOW Online.

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214's online: http://vetrecs.archives.gov/

This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy of his DD-214 for employment purposes.

NPRC is working to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet access to obtain copies of documents from their military files.

Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents.

Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the online web site.

Because the requester will be asked to supply all information essential for NPRC to process the request, delays that normally occur when NPRC has to ask veterans for additional information will be minimized.

The new web-based application was designed to provide better service on these requests by eliminating the records centers mailroom and processing time.

Please pass this information on to former military personnel you may know and their dependents.

Thanks Stu!

My Dad is a 26-year Air Force veteran (security policeman) who made two "visits" to Viet Nam when I was little.

I did a plain-ole Google search for DD-214 and came up with what might be a better "introductory" page ... for folks wondering what a DD-214 is and what kinds of info it contains:
That page also contains an alternate link to the eVetRecs system.

I sent this info on to my mom, who is the "genealogist" in the family. I won't be surprised if she already knows about this, but in any case thanks for forwarding the information! :thumb:

The good and possible bad

It is good that the government is helping the vets by cutting down on the paperwork.

The bad part is that there is now another avenue for the criminals to steal benefits and they don't deserve. I don't have a warm feeling about putting personal information on the internet. The older it get, the fewer people I trust. :rolleyes:

My DD-214 is safely tucked away where I or my wife could find it. I don't expect to ever need it, but I still have it just in case.

Thanks Stuart. Vets who served during the Vietnam conflict (didn't have to be in-country) have consideration for medical services at VA hospitals, but of course without a DD214 you can't prove you rate it. There's a pecking order, and the wounded from Iraq are at the top of the queue, as they most definitely and without doubt should be, but it's there. I suspect it's true for vets from other conflict-periods as well.