Hi folks!

Tam Porter

Followed a link from the UK Forum on one of the members posts (Chas Jones) and here I am. Registered so I could see the photos, then started browsing around and am very impressed with the sharing attitude in all the posts. Will be back very often now.

I retired a few years ago and 'er indoors bought me a lathe for a birthday present. Have been turning for 11 years now, and am self taught. (learnt by making lots and lots of mistakes :doh:) I did managed to learn a little so here I am now, still basically a hobby turner who sells some bits to fund the hobby. I have no special pieces I do, I just have a go at turning anything as long as my machine will take it.

Greetings, Tam! :wave:

I look forward to seeing some projects turned from the "exotics" that must grow in your part of the world. I dunno ... boxwood? Yew?

Welcome!

PS: If "Chas" is short for "Charles" (I hope that's right), is "Tam" short for anything? Perhaps your preferred style of headgear? :dunno:

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, Tam. Any friend of Chas is a friend of...um...er...well...welcome aboard anyway. :rofl: Looking forward to seeing you around the place.

(And just kidding about Chas...he's good people.)

Thanks for the welcome people.

Kerry 'Tam' is short for Thomas, but north of the border. I'm a renegade Jock, was born in the border county Of Roxburghshire. Scotland. Folks moved to Edinburgh when I was about 3 years old. In England it would be shortened to Tom, but in Scotland it is shortened to Tam. It's the only thing I have left from my birth place, that and my accent.

Exotics, we ain't got much of that over here. Some Yew for the colour, or Laburnum. I think most of our boxwood is imported from Spain.

Well done Vaughn, that's what I get for name dropping. :rofl:

Welcome Tam,
Enjoy your stay here................BUT we need pictures before
you can post. :rofl:
:rofl:
PS
The coffee pot is on.