Maple Chip & Dip Platter

Great job Vaughn, especially the one with the glass cup, very useful for dip saus. Good appetite, what do you think with a good glass of wine.
BTW. Beautiful maple :thumb:

vaughn, the wood is beautiful and the form is first class. when my wife likes it too i know it's a winner, and she does.

roughed out on the sears? so you turned it green? some of us new to turning would like to hear how thick you leave an 11" platter and how you dry the rough turning?

vaughn, the wood is beautiful and the form is first class. when my wife likes it too i know it's a winner, and she does.

roughed out on the sears? so you turned it green? some of us new to turning would like to hear how thick you leave an 11" platter and how you dry the rough turning?
Thanks for the kind words, Clark. (Same to your wife, too.)

To answer your questions, yes, I turned it green...I'm guessing to about 3/4" thick. It was thicker at the bowl part in the middle, but I also started the bowl shape while it was wet. I soaked the rough-turned piece in denatured alcohol (DNA) for a day or so, wrapped it in a few layers of newspaper, then let it dry for about two months before I finished. I'm sure it would have been dry enough after about one month, but it took me that long to get back to it.

Love that!!! What a great idea. That's some nice work. I swear...it's amazing how things work out...you know, I have the SAME BOWLS!!! Those clear ones...you should send me the platter so we'll know for sure. ;)

Just an off question, what is "ambrosia" maple?

Sandy, here's a definition I found on the web:
Ambrosia maple comes from regular soft maple trees that have been infested by the ambrosia beetle. The small beetle bores a network of tunnels and short galleries called cradles. A fungus is responsible for the black and gray streaks that accompany each tunnel and adjacent wood. The streaks add a unique look to this hardwood without affecting its structural integrity. This wood is mostly found in the central part of Eastern United States.
The background on this web page shows a pretty good example of typical ambrosia maple.

I bought the blank for this piece on eBay, and the seller called it ambrosia maple. The more I look at it, I suspect it's really just a maple burl. (I have no problem with that, either.) ;)

Thanks, Vaughn. I have seen that kind of maple here and there. At a recent gun show near Fredericksburg, a gentleman was selling some pieces that were that color (on the web site). he wanted about $30 for a 12"x12"x4" blank. The wood seemed awful soft, though. I passed on it mainly because of how soft it seemed.

I have some walnut that got worm-infested. My father had it sitting around on his farm lot, and was going to throw it out. The lumber was already rough-milled into boards, so there were not any turning-size pieces. It makes some stunning frames, though! ;)