Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey from Central Texas

Hey from Central Texas

Guess ya'll allow Texans round here as I was able to register.

Just got wind of this forum and have been looking around a bit and recognize some names from other places. I've been pretending to work wood for about 30 years or so, but have only been able to really make any advances in the last decade now that the kids aren't draining all of the cash out of the family coffers and there is a bit left to spend on tools and wood.

I'm a sort of reforming machine head, having discovered vintage and good modern hand tools in the last few years. Though I don't think I'll be giving up my electron burners any time soon, I find myself resorting to hand tools for more and more of what I do in the shop.

I've got a website where I post stuff I've done, as well as some of the stuff I've learned over the years. Don't sell anything there and shouldn't be any pop-ups or such so feel free to visit and take away anything you find useful. Even got some SketchUp plans for a few pieces of furniture that you can take and use if you like.

The site is http://www.sawdustersplace.com Guess I could probably add that to my signature line, when I get around to doing a signature line and the code stuff, I guess, needs to be activated so till then you'll just have to copy and paste if you wanna visit the site.

Jerry

Howdy, Jerry! Glad to have ya.

Welcome to the forum.

I checked out your web site. It has a lot of interesting stuff. Some pics did not load but I guess I will have to try again later. The Rocker was magnificant.

Aw man, how'd this guy get in here? The Texan filter in the forum software must be broken.

Welcome to the clubhouse, Jerry. Glad to gave you aboard.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hi Jerry, wellcome on board, have a great time with this bunch of very nice people.

Hi Jerry
    Yes we allow Texas on the forum, as it is western part of Indiana

PS
    The coffee pot is on

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Welcome to the Family Jerry!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Howdy back at ya from North Texas!! Good to have you join the Family! Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I checked out your web site. It has a lot of interesting stuff. Some pics did not load but I guess I will have to try again later. The Rocker was magnificant.
    When I migrated my site from elsewhere I left some of the pics on xs.to and linked to them. Don't know what is going on at xs.to, but it dumped a bunch of my pics. I need to dig around and see if I've still got them somewhere and put em back on the site. Thanks for the compliment on the rocker. That was my first one and when I get caught up on a couple other projects I've got the wood for two more.

Well, folks, I suppose I should add a few words, more or less at random, to welcome Jerry and give you a hint about who just signed up.

As you know, I'm always saying I know absolutely nothing. But a few years ago, I knew far, far less than I do now. If there's a single person most responsible for the progress I've made, it's Jerry. He's always been very patient with my foolishness. He has gently told me what I needed to hear, even when I didn't want to listen. He's one of the most pragmatic woodworkers you'll ever want to meet. And he's always willing to share the expertize he's gained.

So now I'm going to tell you a story that even he hasn't heard. You may have noticed that all through January I had a candle as my icon. That was my small way of honoring a gentleman we both knew named Limey, who had recently passed away. A couple years ago, I visited Limey in Connecticut, and he offered to teach me how to tune up and use a plane (I know that task sounds simple, but I need lessons in everything!). Anyway, before we started, we had to go look for a plane to tune up. So, young James, Limey, and I all piled into the car, and off we went to a second hand store that had a bunch of used tools. We found a couple planes, including a woody that I was later able to establish as dating from 1847. While James ran wild, Limey perused the handsaws, and pulled one out of the pile, saying to me "I think I'll get this one, just to make Sawduster jealous..."

Oh, and there's one other thing it may be useful to know about Jerry. No two rational beings could be farther apart on the political spectrum than he and I are, and yet if we ever meet I have a long-standing promise to buy him a scotch (single-malt, of course!). He may not have my agreement on such subjects, but he has my respect, and I hope he'll share his woodworking wisdom here as freely as he always has elsewhere. Someday, I hope to help some bone-headed young whippersnapper as much as he's helped me!

Oh, and Jerry, the thing I love the most about this place: it's a no politics site. No flames, none of that stuff... just lots of peace, happiness and woodworking!

I'm glad you found us!

Thanks,

Bill