Hollow Form #14

This is my version of a Southwestern style seedpot. The wood is spalted white birch and is full of cracks, knots and inclusions. It measures 9 ½” diameter x 5 ¼” high, sanded to 400 and finished with Watco Natural Danish Oil.

HF #14 V1.JPG HF #14 V2.JPG HF #14 V3.JPG HF #14 V4.JPG

I would like to know your opinion as to the form. If you could change something on it - what would you do different? If you like it – why? I am also requesting your critique on the photography. Seriously, tell me what you think!

As always – any and all comments, suggestions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

I can't imagine what I would change...it's gorgeous, as is.

I like it because the shape is pleasing, the wood is stunning and the finish is great...other than that it's just okay. It's sorta like the song critique on the old American Bandstand...it's got a good beat and it's easy to dance to!

The photography IMHO is perfect, too. No hotspots, no shadows, clear, in focus...not much else to comment on.

Man, you nailed another one, Steve. :clap: You have the Southwest look and feel down pat. Beautiful piece and gorgeous wood, too.

Critique-wise, for my tastes I'd like to see the top half of the form a bit more rounded from the shoulders to the base of the lip. The downside to doing so is it would also make it look more like a lot of other hollow forms, which makes it less unique.

The photos look spot on to me. I also like the drop-shadow frames you're using. :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I know this is one of those shapes that folks will either love or hate as it is not traditional.

Bernie - all of the birch I have was cut locally - by me. It's all white birch and I stacked it out back of my shed when I cut it in May. Sealed the ends with latex paint and kept them moist and out of the sun so they would spalt. Rough turned all of the wood in August and September as some of it was already going punky on me. I live less than 1/2 mile from the south shore of Lake Superior and the climate here is very cool and damp during the summer month - so it helps the spalting process.