Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Doodling This Evening

Just Doodling This Evening

Should be asleep but I was so close to finishing I stay up.

Scott Gibson's Wine Glass Cabinet. He built his in ash. This one is QWSO, padauk and wenge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WineGlassCab.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	17732
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Lovely - especially the textures and how they work together.
    So do I type something witty here?

Not only do you know how to use the tools, you produce great results with them, too. That's the difference between a technician and a craftsman.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Just doodling...yeah well you suck Dave.

(Just kidding...you know you do great work with Sketchup that most of us are jealous of)

I wish I could do something with Sketch-up but I'm too mechanically drafting inclined I guess. It sure would be nice to doodle up some hand plane designs though and noodle over them with the likes of Alan DuBoff and Paul Hubbman.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Hi Dave ,
    Very nicely done. Are you using the mirror tool to bookmatch the stiles?
    I agree with Vaughn, you are a craftsman with your tools.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Thank you all.

Bubba, yep, I used the mirror thing to make the parts and by default, the wood textures get mirrored, too. Makes for easy bookmatching.

You Da Man Ddave
    Bubba

Your ability to add the color and the texture of these different woods is very impressive, coupled with your ability to constuct these pieces as you do lend themselves to education at a school of higher learning!
    Shaz
    Last edited by Robert Schaubhut; 02-09-2008 at 02:25 PM.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Thank you sir. You flatter me greatly.

While working on a rendering of this cabinet I came up with a question. does anyone ever start with door rail stock that is thick enough to resaw so the rails and stiles would be bookmatched across the cabinet? Would that take the bookmatching thing too far?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Thank you sir. You flatter me greatly.

While working on a rendering of this cabinet I came up with a question. does anyone ever start with door rail stock that is thick enough to resaw so the rails and stiles would be bookmatched across the cabinet? Would that take the bookmatching thing too far?
    I don't think you can take book matching too far. If there wasn't such a premium on thick lumber, I would buy more 8/4 and do it. My preferred method is to use thick slabs, but the woodstore I buy from locally gets an additional premium for that, too. These folks deal primarily with commercial cabinet type shops, so their priority is 4/4 stuff.

When ever I get the chance I head out to a small mill near Huntsville, TX to pick up a few pieces. He's somewhat more reasonably priced on locally available lumber, and sells slabs at something closer to his regular bdf price for the other stuff. Early last summer a bunch of us from Austin, Houston, Bryan/College Station and Tyler all got together there in Huntsville at the mill. I bought BBQ and we had a great time. I picked up enough 8/4 mesquite to make two rocking chairs and was still ahead on what it would have cost me locally after paying for the BBQ and gas.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

Well, I'm inclined to agree with Travis. Dave, it is amazing how quickly and well you can pull these renderings together!

Wes