Just Doodling This Evening

Dave Richards

Should be asleep but I was so close to finishing I stay up.

Scott Gibson's Wine Glass Cabinet. He built his in ash. This one is QWSO, padauk and wenge. :D
WineGlassCab.jpg

Not only do you know how to use the tools, you produce great results with them, too. :clap: That's the difference between a technician and a craftsman.

Just doodling...yeah well you suck Dave.:thumb::rofl:

(Just kidding...you know you do great work with Sketchup that most of us are jealous of)

I wish I could do something with Sketch-up but I'm too mechanically drafting inclined I guess. It sure would be nice to doodle up some hand plane designs though and noodle over them with the likes of Alan DuBoff and Paul Hubbman.

Thank you all.

Bubba, yep, I used the mirror thing to make the parts and by default, the wood textures get mirrored, too. Makes for easy bookmatching.

You Da Man Ddave:thumb:
Bubba :) :D

Your ability to add the color and the texture of these different woods is very impressive, coupled with your ability to constuct these pieces as you do lend themselves to education at a school of higher learning!:rolleyes::wave:
Shaz :)

Last edited:
Thank you sir. You flatter me greatly. :eek::eek:

While working on a rendering of this cabinet I came up with a question. does anyone ever start with door rail stock that is thick enough to resaw so the rails and stiles would be bookmatched across the cabinet? Would that take the bookmatching thing too far?

Thank you sir. You flatter me greatly. :eek::eek:

While working on a rendering of this cabinet I came up with a question. does anyone ever start with door rail stock that is thick enough to resaw so the rails and stiles would be bookmatched across the cabinet? Would that take the bookmatching thing too far?

I don't think you can take book matching too far. If there wasn't such a premium on thick lumber, I would buy more 8/4 and do it. My preferred method is to use thick slabs, but the woodstore I buy from locally gets an additional premium for that, too. These folks deal primarily with commercial cabinet type shops, so their priority is 4/4 stuff.

When ever I get the chance I head out to a small mill near Huntsville, TX to pick up a few pieces. He's somewhat more reasonably priced on locally available lumber, and sells slabs at something closer to his regular bdf price for the other stuff. Early last summer a bunch of us from Austin, Houston, Bryan/College Station and Tyler all got together there in Huntsville at the mill. I bought BBQ and we had a great time. I picked up enough 8/4 mesquite to make two rocking chairs and was still ahead on what it would have cost me locally after paying for the BBQ and gas.

Well, I'm inclined to agree with Travis.:D;) Dave, it is amazing how quickly and well you can pull these renderings together!

Wes

Sorry Jeff, boats are impossible in SketchUp. :rofl::rofl:

Vesper.jpg

cradle.jpg

Free!ship was easy.... well fairly easy to get the hang of. Easier than SU was for sure! I guess it was my CAD background made it more natural. SU is was not intuitive for me. I can see why it was be backward to you with your SU background.

I designed my first canoe last week. A 12 footer. I need to tweak it a bit. Should weight in under 35 lbs. Probably close to 30 lbs. Would be perfect for small creeks along the side of the road and a little fishing out of. I think that is something I might could sell one of two a year around here. Once my kayaks are done I was thinking about building a small double paddle canoe for show and tell.

Here's what happened to it this morning. ;)

This has lovely, elegant proportions.
Would it be possible to show a close up of the door handles?

If I may suggest, try a version with the upper panels the same wood as the lower. It seems to me you've used another wood here only for the sake of doing so, not because it fulfills an aesthetic. Rather than completing the design, it detracts from it.

(I am new here, so don't box my ears too harshly... :)

Steve

Stephen, welcome to FWW.

I wish I could claim the design. I only did the drawing. The upper panels are glass as per the original. If they look like wood, it is because you are seeing the back panel. Here's a view that shows the glass better. The pulls aren't anything special. I just kind of eyeballed the ones from the article.

winecabrender2.jpg

Stephen, welcome to FWW.

I wish I could claim the design. I only did the drawing.

Ah.
Okey dokey:wave:

The upper panels are glass as per the original. If they look like wood, it is because you are seeing the back panel. Here's a view that shows the glass better.

I still ;)think it would be even more pleasing with a continuation of the wood used below.
The pulls aren't anything special. I just kind of eyeballed the ones from the article.

Thanks for the enlargement nonetheless
And thanks for the Welcome!:wave:

Steve

A marvelously simple yet tremenduously intelligent thing to do. Worthy of being called the "DR" affect! On select pieces where the grain has character worthy of the mirror and the effort, I will do just this and give you the credit and show photos!
Thank you for sharing!
As far as taking the bookmatched idea too far, look at your rendering, it is magnificent!
Shaz:)

Last edited: