Segmented vase

Ad de Crom

Former Member (at his request)
At last after four weeks celebrating carnival I found the time to finish a segmented vase.
This thing is 8'' in diameter, and 12'' tall.
Woodspieces, Grenen and meranti.
Finished with two layers blanc transparent stain.
Thanks for looking. :wave:

Attachments

• 100_1490 - segmented vase 8'' in diam. 12'' tall.jpg
    100_1490 - segmented vase 8'' in diam. 12'' tall.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 86
Ad, that is a beautiful piece. The names of both woodpieces are totally new to me. Which wood is the brown one?

I don't see too many segmented pieces in the forum. I hope that will change though.

Ad, that is a beautiful piece. The names of both woodpieces are totally new to me. Which wood is the brown one?

I don't see too many segmented pieces in the forum. I hope that will change though.

Thank you Mohammad. you can compare Grenen with yellow pine, it has a very nice smell, the brown one is Meranti (hard wood), this woodspieces comes from Asia.
Used here for windows, doors, etcetera. Creates a lot of brown dust.

Very nice work Ad! Great form and really beautiful wood color combinations. Really like the design and size! All the segment work had to take a long time - but it sure looks like it was worth the effort! Again - very nice work!

Expertly done and beautiful. Are those curved/arch portions in the figure of the wood or inlays?

Frank, for getting these curved/arch portions, I made a three layers glue up segmented ring, with the dark one in the middle. Before I started with making this vase I made first a 3D presentation model to see the outcome.
My big concern was to keep everything well centered, by building up the whole construction ring by ring, so a really time consuming procedure.
Thank you for your attention.

Ad :wave:

Steve, Bernie, Gord, Vaughn, Cody, Bruce, thank you all for your attention and kind words.
Highly appreciated.

Ad :wave: