Cross-cut sled - different way

Niki Avrahami

In Memoriam
Good day

I would like to share with you my method.

First, check the alignment of the blade to the miter slots.

The idea is very simple, I make part of the sled, cut the kerf and refer to it as a reference point (or line) to position the "Back Fence" square to the kerf by "locking" everything together.

I discovered that the plastic drawing triangles are very, very accurate, and I use them to locate the fence (actually, as you will see, I'm using the shop-made triangles that were "copied" from the plastic one).

By cutting the Runners 1 mm narrower than the miter slot width, it's very easy and fast to cut the runners and, I think, will eliminate any binding due to expansion with humidity changes.

My table saw is different and has only one miter slot, so I made some kind of "fiction" miter slots for the guys with the "normal" table saw...(I think everybody except me)

It took me around 1½ hours to make it (including 148 pics), so I assume that it should take you 2~2½ hours, considering that you have to prepare the parts (I used scraps from around the garage).

Regards
niki

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

This looks like a very good method. A similar method that is not quite as accurate, but a little bit easier to do since you don't need a kerf-thickness shim is as follows.

Attach a long scrap to the bottom of the sled before you cut the kerf, so that you cut the long edge of the scrap away. Now you have a well-anchored edge to hold your square against while you position your fence. Then remove the scrap. This only allows you to use one square to align the fence, rather than Niki's two, but it works pretty well.

Niki,
You are a true master of invention. Thanks for all of your help.

Chuck

P.S. Did you get my PM on the tutorial I made after you gave me some instruction on how to do it?

Thank you so much

Chuck
The only PM that I received from you was that it looks different on your PC but you managed to make it.

My PC is the old...ummm, antic Windows 98.
A few days ago I installed it on my wife's Windows XP (they always have the best) and it does look different on her PC.

Regards
niki

Niki,
I showed you the thing I sent a friend it was on Thompsons gouges & I added words like you showed me to do just like on your tutorials.
Thanks for the help your directions were perfect. I use Windows XP version.

Chuck