Bandsaw question

Chuck Hanger

Hi Fellow woodworkers,
Have not been on here for a while as the wife has had some medical problems.
All are taken care of now and everything is going OK.
As I have been looking for a bandsaw in my area for quite a while, I would like to know what others think about this saw which is a 8 month old Jet JET 710750 JWBS-18X 18-Inch 1-3/4 Horsepower.
Thanks for any help, as the price he is asking will not last long
Thanks,
Chuck Hanger

Best advice and go NOW and take a look. Jet makes decent tools. I am not a big fan of imports but now days all things are becoming imports. Best advice is get off the couch and go look.

Glad the wife is better/good!

NOW GO!! Shoo Scat!

Thanks for the reply

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the quick reply. During research I find that you can buy this saw for around $1200. What would be a good offer for the 8 month saw that the fellow thought he would use and only used once and decided he was not into woodworking? Don't really know if it is worth the asking price or not?????
Thanks,
Chuck
P.S. thanks for the wife's welfare.

Rule of thumb is 50% of new. Add for good condition or above average. This one is obviously, or should be in excellent condition. Depends on how bad you want of need it. But for me somewhere around 75%. Maybe a tad more if it happened be exactly what I needed. But bottom line is what is it worth to you? Sounds like it is a new saw basically.

Would the warranty transfer? Thats something to think about too.

Jeff

OK now tell me............

Is the saw any good? Do you always have to worry about your settings. I just hobby and don't mind taking the time to set it up, but will this saw stay where it belongs.
Thanks again for any help,
Chuck

I don't know. But from what I read Jet makes good tools and has a good reputation. As you know I like old tools, but if I were in the market for a newer one, I wouldn't be scared of a Jet.

Any bandsaw can give you problems. But it's typically just matter of properly adjusting it.

I have checked every avenue

I have checked all of the outlets and the cheapest that I can find it is $1099 from Amazon. I can buy this saw with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch blades that have never been used for $700. Saw looks like brand new, just don't know about the saw its self. Is it a good saw or a problem maker.
Thanks again,
Chuck

Chuck,

I would look very carefully at the saw, cut some wood with it and jump on it... For $700...it's an excellent deal. You won't be sorry, I'm sure. Jet saws are very good from most everything I've read and heard.

Is the saw any good? Do you always have to worry about your settings. I just hobby and don't mind taking the time to set it up, but will this saw stay where it belongs.
Thanks again for any help,
Chuck

I am with the others that suggest it is a good enough deal that for $700 you can resell it if it turns out to be less than what you wanted.

I owned a 14 inch Jet, and still have my 14 inch Grizzly clone of the Jet. The 14 inch saws are very good, and the bigger saws from both vendors have an excellent reputation. But, they are not the last saw you can dream of owning. There are better saws (which is why I now have a MM 24 to go with my 14 inch saw).

For 2-3 times the price of the 18 inch Jet you can get a European 16 or 18 inch saw which many people would say is a better saw. (The MiniMax 16 inch MM16 professional grade saw is better than the MiniMax 18 inch S45 Hobby grade machine and both are probably better than the Jet.) If you are just cutting bowl blanks, you will never see the difference. If you are planning to cut veneers from expensive hardwoods, you can do it on the cheaper saws, but you can get better, more consistent results with the heavier saws...if that is what you will be doing, I would go for the better machine (as I did).

Last edited:
Well Chuck...did ya get it? As the others said, for $700 I'd jump on it, and if somewhere down the road you decide you don't like it, you should be able to sell it for what you've got invested in it. (And I suspect you'll like it.)

Have not heard back

No Vaughn, I have not heard back from the fellow as he told me he would be out of town today (Sunday), but must have left Saturday evening or sold it to someone else.
Thanks for all of the replies,
Chuck

Chuck -- I have that saw, I'm a weekend woodworker. It has done everything I want it to, have had no problems with it, resaws well, sets up well and stays that way.

The day I bought it, my buddy & I spent a couple hours at Woodcraft examining it, the Rikon and the Delta 18 incher's. Don't remember exactly why I picked the Jet, but we were both in agreement and I am happy with it.

Just my $0.02 for free -- go for it.

Tony