Valentine's Day geode needs stand

Went to a rock shop today and found what I think were some great Valentine's day gifts. One needed a stand. This is that one.

geode.jpg

geode (1).jpg

geode (4).jpg

Seemed to be calling for a prop up, a set in, or a presentation to present "IT"!

Shaz,

Looks like a great project...and gift.

Here are a couple of ideas.

Japanese plate stand. You, of course, would "Shaz-ize" it.

View attachment 17742

Another idea...you could replace the top with the cut stone...leaving just fingers to hold the stone, or cut out a circle and drop the stone in leaving just to top lip extended.

View attachment 17741

Looking forward to seeing what you eventually come up with...if you haven't already done it and are just teasing us again....:rofl:

Last edited:
Hi Greg :wave:,
Two great ideas! Thanks!!!
They are ideas which serve the purpose. Now, it is up to me :rolleyes:, or us if you run into the same dilema, to create anew, without plagarizing, a gift for the Valentine's day Geode.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:huh: :rolleyes:
Shaz :)

Hey Shaz! Great idea. It would be really neat to make a small jewelry box and inlay the geode in the lid. Don't know how big that one is. May be too big.

It would be really neat to make a small jewelry box and inlay the geode in the lid. Don't know how big that one is. May be too big.
Hi Ed :wave:,
You mention an idea that could be a fantastic project! I can see one emerging.:rolleyes: When I was at the rock and gem store thet had slabs of rocks cut in thin pieces. Beautiful stuff and reasonable in price too! They could be used or the geode itself might work. The one shown is about the size of a baseball.

The multiple cutting on the bandsaw has always fascinated me. That is what I did and this is what I got!

geode (7).jpg

geode (8).jpg

geode (9).jpg

geode (10).jpg

geode (11).jpg

Very cool, Shaz. I've got a couple geodes ready to polish that will someday be looking for a stand. I'll have to keep this idea in mind. It also gives me some ideas for using bowl blank cutoffs for display stands for turned platters. :thumb:

Glad you found it stimulating and creatively considered a way you could make use of the idea. So many untapped ideas, so many untapped minds.
Sadly we don't have as many bottle openers for the brain as we do lids.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
and people think I'm wierd!:rofl: (what happened to the rule i before e except after c... ??? ) :huh:

Last edited:
That's a very cool stand Shaz:thumb: I really like the overhanging part, the whole works together with the geode rather than just holding it up.
This is also a neat Valentine's day gift - yer makin my flowers seem kinda dopey :wave:
I'm still coasting on a couple very successful Christmas gifts though so no worries.

Make up a few hundred (betcha got enough scrap), bring them out to Tucson next Feburary, and set up a tent next to one of the guys selling geodes :D:D:D Instant working vacation, just add water (it always rains on the gem show).