What Would You Do?

Dave Richards

Ok, I'm in a quandry and I'm not sure how to resolve it. Maybe some of you wiser, much more experienced folks have some suggestions.

Yesterday my in-laws came over with some walnut to get my help. My F-I-L had glued up (I'm using that term loosely) these pieces of walnut into 6 panels from which he expects to build a blanket chest for my wife. From what I can tell the edges weren't prepared in anyway and evidently he didn't have any clamps that would span the panels. I don't know how he clamped them while gluing.

After he glued everything up, he took it to the local hardwood dealer who ran the panels through his big sander. The panels are now about 5/8" thick. On one panel, a joint failed during sanding. Another one was about to come apart. I fixed both of them.

So now I have these panels. Not one of them is flat. There are knot holes and pith in some of the boards. There are gaps in glue joints. One of the panels contains a board that is nearly all sap wood. The panels aren't large enough to cut apart, repair and reassemble if I'm going to get a blanket chest out of it. And, to top it off, the walnut is some stuff from the family farm but there doesn't appear to be any more.

So, should I try to convince them that Kari really wants a cigar box or should I get some additional walnut and try to mix it in or should I just get some new walnut and start from scratch and, in the case of one of those last two choices, hope they don't notice?

I know my father-in-law really wants to build this chest for his daughter. It's to be a high school graduation gift even though it is 23 years late. He's got Parkinsons and really should be using power tools anymore not to mention that his power tools aren't safe for anyone to use.

I don't want to hurt their feelings. I know they feel like they've put a lot of work into this already. Unfortunately it seems to me the project is already beyond saving.

So, what do you think?

First, you will have to "hurt" their feelings. At least at first with the truth about what you have just told us. If the final product is going to represent the kind of work you do you must be straightforward with them. Tell them you will take what is there and complete the chest to the best of your ability. If that means mixing in some new wood, so be it. The final product will be a nice item because you made it correctly will your best skills. And, you/they will still be able to say it was made with wood from the old family farm. Trying to cover up and cobble together will only result in a less than desirable finished product and disappointment for everyone.

I believe the phrase, with no offense to the valiant efforts of your FIL, is 'beyond salvage'. Your best end result will come from starting fresh. This definitely falls under that "twice as much per hour if you worked on it first" situation but with the obvious challenge of family being involved.

I would try to have the possibly difficult conversation with the in-laws and determine if they are more concerned with the end product or the fact that they were involved. Perhaps you could build one from scratch and have FIL over to help with the finishing process? Perhaps some of his supplied pieces could be used on interior partitions or lift-outs(?). Maybe a decorative pattern on the outside or inside of the lid or as accents(?).

Good luck and I hope all turns out well.

Last edited:
Tough problem. Would it work to explain to FIL the issues and maybe use the best of the wood to do accent or trim on a blanket chest 'you both make' out of some completely other wood? Maple or cherry with walnut trim would be beautiful!!

Perhaps a SketchUp rendering would sway him? :)

And, dang it, Glenn types faster than me! Nice to find great minds think. A lot!

Last edited:
Dave,

I would first discuss the situation with your wife...the recipient or the piece...and the love that her father has and wants to show by building/having it built it for her. I'm sure her father's intentions are more important than the quality of the chest. But since it's for her, let her know the problems, alternatives and then both of you can come up with a plan to get the chest done incorporating at least some of the original wood. Maybe use a piece of it in a special spot and have the father write a message and sign it there.

Good luck, Dave

Ok, I'm in a quandry and I'm not sure how to resolve it. Maybe some of you wiser, much more experienced folks have some suggestions.

Yesterday my in-laws came over with some walnut to get my help. My F-I-L had glued up (I'm using that term loosely) these pieces of walnut into 6 panels from which he expects to build a blanket chest for my wife. From what I can tell the edges weren't prepared in anyway and evidently he didn't have any clamps that would span the panels. I don't know how he clamped them while gluing.

After he glued everything up, he took it to the local hardwood dealer who ran the panels through his big sander. The panels are now about 5/8" thick. On one panel, a joint failed during sanding. Another one was about to come apart. I fixed both of them. (Good)

So now I have these panels. Not one of them is flat. There are knot holes and pith in some of the boards. There are gaps in glue joints. One of the panels contains a board that is nearly all sap wood. The panels aren't large enough to cut apart, repair and reassemble if I'm going to get a blanket chest out of it. And, to top it off, the walnut is some stuff from the family farm but there doesn't appear to be any more. (that's okay, this is understandable to all involved)

So, should I try to convince them that Kari really wants a cigar box or should I get some additional walnut and try to mix it in or should I just get some new walnut and start from scratch and, in the case of one of those last two choices, hope they don't notice? (Don't try to sneak one over on them, they are adults so approach them with the plan that to do it you need incorporate more lumber, so would they like to add more walnut or white oak to blend with the sap wood or some cherry might look nice.)

I know my father-in-law really wants to build this chest for his daughter. (This statement says it all! At this stage in his life, this is the most important thing you need consider!) It's to be a high school graduation gift even though it is 23 years late. He's got Parkinsons and really should be using power tools anymore not to mention that his power tools aren't safe for anyone to use. (agreed!)

I don't want to hurt their feelings. I know they feel like they've put a lot of work into this already. (I see no alternative but to respect their feelings, dig deep into that creative box of yours and make this the box that Dad will be proud to give his daughter) Unfortunately it seems to me the project is already beyond saving. (Dear Dave, You can do it, and you should do it with all the vim and vigor you can muster. Their lives are closing down, they don't need a masterpiece of great quality. They want their daughter to have something they laid loving hands on in the process, from the farm of their memories. Guess I am just too sentimental to make a great project that has less significance than a simple one they helped with!) So, what do you think?

Hi Dave :wave:,
This is a sensitive issue but in my opinion you can do it and it can turn out well. The design may need tweaking. Remember Greene and Greene.
Can you run some pependicular slats, like an old trunk has in leather, surrounding the trunk, only yours maybe out of walnut, used to eliminate the concern for joint failure? Mak lend it self to some fine joinery?
Don't want to con you into something you don't want to do or can see just won't work. Not being there it is easy to say "You can do it!" I don't mean to step on your toes. I trust your opinion, but hope you reconsider before your final verdict. How can I help, I would like to be of assistance?:dunno:
Respectfully,
Shaz :)
PS Thank you for bringing this subject to our attention.

Dave, How about ripping the glue joints apart. Mill the boards to 7/16" and face glue to some more 7/16" walnut. The boards can then be edge glued and milled to final thickness. That way you can save the "character" of the family wood and still have enough for the project.

If you can pull it off, I don't think you even need to tell your FIL. It'll be our little secret!:thumb:

Dave, How about ripping the glue joints apart. Mill the boards to 7/16" and face glue to some more 7/16" walnut. The boards can then be edge glued and milled to final thickness. That way you can save the "character" of the family wood and still have enough for the project.

If you can pull it off, I don't think you even need to tell your FIL. It'll be our little secret!:thumb:

A secret on the internet?.............:rofl:

Dave, How about ripping the glue joints apart. Mill the boards to 7/16" ...

Taking this a bit further: maybe rip and re-glue the panels, sand them to 7/16, or even 3/8", and then use them as panels to make a frame and panel chest. Make the frames from full thickness 4/4 walnut.

As for the sapwood, it's not necessarily a problem. Keep it in the project. It can make a very nice accent. I often use both walnut and cherry sapwood in my projects, and also leave knots and othe 'defects.' Perhaps a bit of judicious staining/dying and filling a crack or knot or two with epoxy to help everything blend, and you can still have a fine looking piece from this.

Would have to go

With Greg's idea.
The FIL meant to do his best and try to work with that. He wanted to do somthing for his daughter.
Just my thoughts as I have a 81 year old FIL that still loves wood turning.
Hope you the best,
Chuck

I was going to go even further than Ed/Jim and suggest slicing most of it into 1/16" veneer and glue on both sides to BB ply then use the rest for edging on the ply. You'd end up with all the visible stuff from the farm walnut tree.

Dave, I’m of the opinion and I’d like to suggest that no matter what you have to do to “fix” the panels to make the chest, I’d use the walnut that your FIL is trying to work with. I’m sure that deep down in your Wife’s heart, the fact that her Father made the blanket chest (with your help) will mean much more to her than any piece of possible perfect heirloom that can be salvaged by using some “store bought wood” that has no connection with the family. I’m sure that anytime she sees or opens the chest she will remember her Father and that will mean much more than having that perfect looking piece of furniture.
Jim

shaz another question

well i am glad that you asked this question dave, cuz i have a similar dilema.. not wanting to highjack you thread but i have a dad that is making a cedar chest for his wife (my mom..) well i have helped him do some of it and have tried to let him go on his own but he got frustrated and let it set for to long in a moist basement and then decided to have me help him get it right again. the hinged lid! those frustrating anti pinch hinges.. well thats done and he is attempting to sand it out but it has some applied trim that he put on that is less than proper and his sanding has caused more trouble, cross grain sanding.. i feel i could take the trim off and sand properly and reattach new trim and have it come out prertty good... but how do i approch him on it with out him thinkin he done it all wrong and throw in the towel again??/ sorry dave this is similar to yours older folk and not wanting to hurt there feelings..

Dave - as expressed by others, I would talk to your FIL and recommend that you both work on this together. Since you have the right tools you can let him know that it would be of the quality that he would expect for his daughter.

As far as salvaging what you have, I'd rip them to veneer thickness or start completely over with more walnut.

Hope things come out ok.....

I'd go with the panels as they are, make the chest frame and panel like others have said. Most of the structural aspects of frame and panel are handled by the frames and the panels are mostly ornamental. I think the piece would have more meaning to your wife in years to come knowing that the piece contains the work of her father.

Thanks all. I ended up talking with my wife and showing her what I was up against with the wood. She spoke with her mom and one thing led to another and we now have more of the walnut to work with. It's been stored in an unheated garage for a lot of years and I haven't seen it yet.

After getting it into my shop to acclimate for awhile, I'll mill up the wood and see what we have. I've been directed to go slowly though and get F-I-L's input along the way. Maybe I'll turn him loose with the sander when we get to that point.

Guess I'll have to get busy and draw something up in SketchUp. :D

Thanks again all.

Dave, I’m of the opinion and I’d like to suggest that no matter what you have to do to “fix” the panels to make the chest, I’d use the walnut that your FIL is trying to work with. I’m sure that deep down in your Wife’s heart, the fact that her Father made the blanket chest (with your help) will mean much more to her than any piece of possible perfect heirloom that can be salvaged by using some “store bought wood” that has no connection with the family. I’m sure that anytime she sees or opens the chest she will remember her Father and that will mean much more than having that perfect looking piece of furniture.
Jim

Dave I agree with Jim, it would mean more if it was done from the both of you. I would suggest that you talk with your FIL about what you have in mind and explain the entire situation to him and ask what he would want to do. It doesn't really matter what any of us say as it all comes down to a discusion between the two of you. I am sure that he would appreciate you being able to help him with making his dreams and wishes come true.

Drew