Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with dust filtration mask?

Need help with dust filtration mask?

I have a dust collection system in my shop as well as a filtration system. Neither, however removes the fine dust quickly enough to keep from breathing small micron dust. Fine dust has a severe drying affect on the membrane in my nose. This week, after spending two days in the hospital for nose hemorrhaging, two units of blood transfused, and other treatments, I have come to the conclusion that a power mask is necessary. I also know that coumadin and hemorrhaging are a scary pair.
    I have looked at several types of masks on the net, but would like to hear from those of you that regularly use one and would share the benefits of the one you use. My shop time is strictly hobby, building 18th. century furniture, and some limited turning. All shop time has been stopped until a solution is found.
    Thanks for any help you can give.

Bill Sampson

I have one from the borg. It has replaceable filters and differents filters for different task. Not sure off hand the brand name but will look when I go back down stairs. When wearing it I can not taste or smell the sawdust. Is has keep me from swelling when using apple or walnut, which usally cause major sinus problems with me.

Bill - I use the one in the middle (946-484) from Woodworker.com. It is light enough that it does not bother me. For dust it seems to do a good job.

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...1&LARGEVIEW=ON

The brand I have is AO Safety.

Bill, I use the trend airshield. Works well, fits comfortably -- I forget it's there. The airshield pro is coming out soon.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...ir-shield.html
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...hield-pro.html

In your case you may want to consider the 3M product. My buddy who suffers with asthma has one -- he is in a confined space and needs the extra protection. Only downside -- it is very pricey.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...PR-System.html

Good luck with whatever you decide -- keep safe. Tony

Tony, BCE '75

I have the Trend Airshield, and I also have a dual cartridge (non-powered) AO Safety respirator. The Trend is great for turning or other relatively stationary tasks, but if I'm doing anything somewhat strenuous (or where I'll be bending and moving a lot), I prefer using the respirator instead of the Trend. It has a better seal on my face, and stays in place no matter how I move.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have the 3M Breatheasy system. Expensive as all get out unless yout employer gives it to you as a parting gift when he lays you off. Another option is this one.

http://www.airwareamerica.com/index....TS&Category=23

I spent $50 on a 3M mask and two big pink filters. Very comfortable . Picked it up at a "turners" booth a local wood show 2 years back. I paid an extra $15 for the softer rubber mask.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4719.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	17848
    hobby woodworking since 1972

Bill, I use the Triton and LOVE it. It's a bit expensive, but it kills three bords with one throw so it's well worth it IMO. Rockler, Woodcraft and CSUSA all carry it for $199.99. Every now and then you'll find it on sale at Amazon, but they're currently listing it at $269.

A review for it can be seen here.

i use the triton also and it works well. my only complaint is that i don't need a hardhat in the shop and i keep hitting it on things i store overhead. you need a backup battery pack if you're going to be in the shop all day turning but it's easy to change. i'm finding all the products from triton are well designed if you don't mind buying non-u.s. products.
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.