Let's See Your Shop Made Mobile Bases

Sean Wright

With the purchase of my 1st 14in bandsaw drawing closer, I will need to put it on a mobile base.

Initially I was planning on getting a bandsaw that came with a mobile base, but the funding doesn't seem to be there for that specific brand. :(

I think I have come up with a good compromise between features and what I can afford.:eek: However the model I'm looking as doesn't have wheels.

In looking at mobile bases, the cost seem a bit high for something I could fairly easily make myself. So I'm looking for ideas.

If you have made your own mobile base(s) for your tools, I'd like to see them.

thank you!

Have you looked at the mobile base that Woodcraft sells? http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5114
It might fit your needs. I have one similar to that one that I bought at Sears a few years ago for my Craftsman 14" bandsaw and it works very well.

Go to http://picasaweb.google.com/mrhermit03/BandSawBasePictures to see 3 views of my base.

I cut 3/4 inch plywood 1 inch wider and 1 inch longer then the base of the bandsaw. Then I bolted the 4 corner pieces to the plywood using the 2 smaller holes. You will have to buy longer hardware to mount it. You will then be able to use the larger holes to bolt the base to the bandsaw base using the existing holes. The extra Nuts, bolts and washers cost me about $9.00 at Ace hardware. After I mounted the base to the saw there was about a 1/2 inch gap between the saw base an the and the mobile base. I planed down four pieces of oak to fit the gap. It probably was not necessary to do that but I figured it might make the base a bit more stable.

Believe it or not, but my 18" Rikon is still sitting on the shipping pallet base that I put 4 casters under while it was still sitting on its back. When I hauled the saw home I attached the 4 casters, that were exactly the right diameter, so that they cleared the bottom of the pallet legs.rails by about a 1/4 of an inch. We unloaded the saw, rolled it into position, and I put four wedges under the pallet. It's nice and solid with no wiggle and when I have to move it to put blades on I just pull the wedges and pull the saw out a little. (I have to do this to open the bottom door on the saw because it's back is against a cabinet.)
You cannot get any 'cheaper' than that!
Jim

Last edited:
Everyone told me that this idea wouldn't last, it would fall apart. yada yada yada. Well 2 years latter it's still working fine and I think I have $30 in the casters.

almost_done2.jpg

It's simply 1" thick oak scraps from a shipping pallet. I cut a SHALLOW dado where the struts cross. Just to take the strain off the joint when I tried to rotate the planner. Glued and screwed the joint(s) and attached the casters once dry. I think the planner weights in around 350-375 lbs per the manual.

On another forum I was almost laughed out. The joints would fail. The weight of the planner would crack the wood, etc. Well guess what? I am still using it. :rolleyes:

It has held up fine. Never had a problem and it was DIRT CHEAP! Contrary to popular belief mobile bases don't have to expensive and can be shop made on the cheap.

If you have some spare angle iron and a welder this works well. You might be able to pick up some angle cheap at a welding shop or macnine shop. If no welder you might be able to bolt it together or pay someone a small fee to weld it for you. The screw down parts that I was going to use to make the unit more stable were not needed.

Attachments

• dscf0014b.jpg
    dscf0014b.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 54
  • dscf0012.jpg
    dscf0012.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 60
Rockler has this one on sale for $25 this weekend I think. They handed me a flyer last time I was in the store for this and a lot of other "President's Day Weekend" specials. I cannot find it online so it may be a retail inly thing. Not one of my favorite bases but it would certainly handle a 14" BS. You can use steel square tube instead of wood.

Update: Ooops! $35 this March 1&2 . . . Sorry.

Last edited:
Sean,

My 14" bandsaw is set up on a 12" high plywood box I made from cutoffs, with 2" casters screwed into the bottom. Just the height I wanted, rolls around no problem, it's a little bit wider, so it's more stable, and it cost me about twelve bucks, not counting the screws... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

My 14" bandsaw is set up on a 12" high plywood box I made from cutoffs, with 2" casters screwed into the bottom. Just the height I wanted, rolls around no problem [...]

Nice try Bill, but my radar caught it! Proof that you have successfully made something, according to design, that works well! :rofl::rofl:

Jeez, here I am, stuck in Tucson, two weeks until I can go take pics.

I've made 4, mostly just out of angle iron and flat strap, and spent the money on really good casters instead of a commercial base. There's just no comparison. I made another out of prime (no knots, straight grain) douglas fir for a 400# jointer. Wood works great if you can't weld, just make the bits where the casters go a bit longer to get the caster out away from the base, giving you room to glue/screw gussets in. I don't have the wood base anymore, because I made that very mistake, and when I was replacing it I was making two more out of steel.

The one un-conventional thing I'd recommend is all four casters should swivel. The commercial units only do two to save money. Two swivel/two fixed does work, but not as well as all four swiveling. Unfortunately, this means you need to mount the caster quite a ways outboard of the base, but making them all swivel means you can make each mount the same as the next.

Last edited:
Everyone told me that this idea wouldn't last, it would fall apart. yada yada yada. Well 2 years latter it's still working fine and I think I have $30 in the casters.

Jeff - that is so cool!:thumb: Impressive base for a machine that weighs over 600#!

I would have stacked the bits the other way so they sat on the ones that sat on the casters, but if it hasn't failed yet, I doubt it will soon. I wouldn't have thought it would last, but I bet my PM100 doesn't run as smooth at yours :rofl:

They only weight 375 lbs. Per the manual 378 lbs with the base.

Interesting, I think I picked my # up over at OWWM or somewhere, not as good as a manual. I think I do have a photocopied manual though - musta never read it :eek::doh: Even just a few years ago Powermatic would send you a photocopy of their file manual and a neat little booklet on adjustment, totally gratis.

Aren't weights a funny things, past what you can lift, they really just become "big heavy thing" up until you need serious equipment to move them, then they become "REALLY big heavy thing".

But that base only weighs 3 pounds? :huh:

The one un-conventional thing I'd recommend is all four casters should swivel. The commercial units only do two to save money. Two swivel/two fixed does work, but not as well as all four swiveling. Unfortunately, this means you need to mount the caster quite a ways outboard of the base, but making them all swivel means you can make each mount the same as the next.

I agree!

Nice try Bill, but my radar caught it! Proof that you have successfully made something, according to design, that works well! :rofl::rofl:
Actually Kerry, I believe the mobile base started out as an entertainment center. There were a few design changes along the way. :p I've built a few projects like that myself. :D