Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: kinda in doghouse

kinda in doghouse

Today (Sunday) is my wife's 65th birthday, a milestone. I never know what to get her for gifts. She is a bell collector and I'll give one or two if I can find good ones. But the bell thing does get old. Due to her changing.....er....shape... it is difficult to buy clothes. She wears almost no jewelry and things I have bought in years past sit unused in a box. So, I have started just giving cash, as much as my small budget will allow. Well, now I'm in the doghouse because she said she wanted to go on a cruise. I knew that. But my tiny budget wouldn't rent a jon boat for the creek down the hill. Oh, well. She had a flat the other day and I did buy her a new tire. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    She had a flat the other day and I did buy her a new tire. Does that count?
    Frank, I checked with my bride of 23 years. She says no.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I don't need to check with my wife of 39 years!

It'll be a long cold winter Frank!
    Ken
    ------

Frank, I feel your pain. Valentine is coming up and I still haven't bought anything for my wife. It is not an easy decision. I am inclined to steal your 'tire' idea though.

Hi Frank ,
    How about a day or two cruise on the Delta Queen up or down the Mississippi? Would that fit? You may have to forget the budget and bite one of your old bullets?
    Good luck!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Today (Sunday) is my wife's 65th birthday, a milestone. I never know what to get her for gifts. She is a bell collector and I'll give one or two if I can find good ones. But the bell thing does get old. Due to her changing.....er....shape... it is difficult to buy clothes. She wears almost no jewelry and things I have bought in years past sit unused in a box. So, I have started just giving cash, as much as my small budget will allow. Well, now I'm in the doghouse because she said she wanted to go on a cruise. I knew that. But my tiny budget wouldn't rent a jon boat for the creek down the hill. Oh, well. She had a flat the other day and I did buy her a new tire. Does that count?
    NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! It DEFINITELY DOESN'T Count, Frank. I can speak with authority on this subject, because about 5 years ago I thought that for a change I would splurge on something "Practical" for a gift for the LOML's birthday, and get her something she really Needed Or could use regularly. While perusing the subject for the proper gift, I happened to notice that the tires on her car were beginning to show a good bit of wear so I sneaked out in her car one Saturday morning while she was sleeping in, and bought her a full set of high mile rated (& High Dollar) Bridgestones and Proudly announced to her when she got up, that she should go out front and see her birthday present. I have only recently quit being reminded of that event as she mentions that to her friends and acquaintences, with, "Well......at least YOUR Husband didn't get you TIRES for your birthday"......... (and that wasn't even the only thing I bought her for that Birthday either).

On the other hand, I spent less than 20% of that amount for one of her Xmas presents this year and got her a ticket to a George Strait Concert, and that was a Real Hit.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 02-11-2008 at 11:27 AM.

We both gave up buying each other stuff a while back, I buy what I want for my Birthday, and she does the same for herself.

We do the cake and pictures, as well as the "happy birthday sweetheart" stuff, but trying to by just the right thing for her, act of futility, on my part

Our way works for us.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I wasn't serious about the tire thing.
    I'll keep plugging as long as I'm breathing.
    I have two novels with an agent now. Maybe if one gets sold the cruise will happen.

Are you guys telling me that Stu and I are the only ones with our wives trained?

I can get away with putting linseed oil on a piece of lumber and she's tickled to death

the LOML and I are still 'newlyweds' but have been together long enough (going on 9 years this time around). I learned a long time ago that I'm not going to get it 'right', but that I had better buy something for valentines and her birthday...

This year I thought I'd pamper her a bit so I just popped in to Bed Bath & Beyond for a hit on the wallet. I hope she likes the selection I picked out... I like the scents I picked at least, so I'll know when she's using them.
    -Ned