Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My chainsaw bites...literally!

My chainsaw bites...literally!

If it could have gone wrong today, it did.

I have been right in firewood production mode, cutting as much firewood as I can before Spring comes and kills the logging until next year. I had only cut four trees when my chainsaw handle breaks in half. I use it as is to finish out my twitch then go and weld it up (it was aluminum).

On the sixth tree I cut, I break a pin that holds my winch to my tractor. So I jam a file in it just to hold it together, get out of the woods and fabricate a makeshift pin.

Then just before 2 o clock this afternoon I drop a big Maple tree. I'm kind of tired, but really don't think much about it. I drop the tree just fine, limb most of it out and then go to cut the top part off the tree. I am not sure if I slipped on the icy tree (it's been snowing hard all day) or if the saw hit a branch and skidded towards my leg. Either way I feel some pain, feel some blood and see that my saw cut a pretty good gash in my jeans, in my long handles (long johns), and yes into my flesh. It hit at the mid way point between my knees and waist on my left thigh.

Luckily it was not too deep, definately not to the bone. So I finish my cut, check my leg a few times and then head out of the woods. The bleeding seemed to stop so I finish out the rest of the day. Just as I am heading home, the wooden box my saw rides in on my tractor's fender, falls off. I throw everything into the bucket and head home...well after dark.

What a day!!

All was not lost though. I got 8 cord out despite my break downs and chainsaw mishap. I guess I was due. The last time I cut my leg was in 1990 when I was felling a big Spruce. That time it just grazed my shin. Considering how many cords/thousands of board feet of wood I cut each year, that's a pretty good record.

The box that holds my chainsaw can easily be seen perched over the rear fender in this picture.

Last edited by Travis Johnson; 02-10-2008 at 11:35 PM.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Travis old bud, is Murphy your brother?

I thought I was accident prone, Travis you have defiantly got me beat. Take care of that leg and don't let it get infected.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    ........... I feel some pain, feel some blood and see that my saw cut a pretty good gash in my jeans, in my long handles (long johns), and yes into my flesh. It hit at the mid way point between my knees and waist on my left thigh.

Luckily it was not too deep, definately not to the bone. .........

Ummmm ... saw pants/chaps ????

just wondering ....

cheers

Travis, be careful. We want you around for a while. Are you sure you weren't intended to be a city boy?

My chain saw scares me worse than my table saw. Glad it wasn't worse, Travis.

You sure there wasn't some guy from the electric company hiding just out of sight with a hacksaw? :P
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

What can I say Travis?
    Jason, man that was a good comment!!!!!

That was a pretty funny statement. Up and down the road people have been like "Oh you're still cutting wood, the power hasn't gone out so we didn't know."

My leg will be fine it looks like. Not as deep a cut as originally thought even. You can see where it bit me down by my knee, raked across my thigh in kind of a road rash kind of injury, then dug in at my mid thigh for a bit. Nothing too deep, but the problem with chainsaws is that they don't take a nice smooth cut, the rip and tear a 3/8 chunk out of you which leaves you pretty sore.

I am really not sure what happened. I don't know if I stepped into the bottom of my saw as I tried to cut off that tree top, or if the saw hit a limb and skidded back towards my leg? It might have even kicked back. I use the top of my bar a lot so maybe it pushed back? I also run a 24 inch bar on this saw so that gives it quite a few more teeth exposed.

As for the firewood business,that's taken right off. I talked to a different Uncle...one that trucks sawlogs, pulpwood and firewood for a living with his truck, (tri-axle) and he said no one is cutting firewood. He's had to turn away tree length firewood orders so he will buy everything I cut. That great for me, but we got 6-10 inches of new snow on the way tonight and that might stop me. My little tractor is pretty capable, but we already have waist deep snow in the woods, and another 10 might just be too much.

Here is an old picture of my small tractor and winch set up, just so you can see what I amusing. Its not much, but leaves a small skid trail...like walking paths in the forest,so it does very little damage. At the same time it uses about 3 gallons of diesel fuel a day. Interestingly enough, you can see some trees in the background in this photo. One of those trees on top of that hill was the one that fell over backwards and hit the powerline.

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Glad you weren't seriously hurt. That tractor ride looks cold. I can't believe the difference in the weather. I was running heaters a couple weeks ago and now its 75 in the shop. Just had to step out and take a pic lookin' out of the shop in February.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0014.jpg  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

We got a big storm blowing in tonight...4 to 10 inches expected. Its been so bad here as far as snow goes that today the Maine DOT admitted the Interstate caused several major accidents last Saturday because they ran out of salt to put on the roads. There is actually a sever salt shortage right now so the roads are pretty treacherous. I have not seen pavement on my town road since December.

Here are a few pictures of what Thorndike Maine looks like tonight....

Last edited by Travis Johnson; 02-13-2008 at 12:46 AM.