Miter Slot Runners

What is a good, cheap material that is good for miter slot runners for jigs? I've had serious humidity expansion issues when using hardwood runners. I could just buy some UHMW plastic, but I'm trying to come up with something less expensive.

What is a good, cheap material that is good for miter slot runners for jigs? I've had serious humidity expansion issues when using hardwood runners. I could just buy some UHMW plastic, but I'm trying to come up with something less expensive.

Rock Hard Maple is less effected by weather changes than most other woods, Also exotics fair well in weather changes. Common woods such as Osage Orange (more dinser woods) could do as well. Just a thought, Oily woods such as Aeromatic red Cedar will be more stable although they are softer and may erode more quickly.

Cheaper Plexiglas (usually 1/4 inch is more common on the scrap line). CA glue a couple plies of it together, cut sand file shape and polish to form a great guide slide.

I usually get my plexi scrap from window companies. They will often give it to you if you ask, or they'll point you to the dumpster and let you get it yourself.