Thread: My Man-cave.. home away from home

My Man-cave.. home away from home

There are some really neat and awesome shops on this site.. home mine will measure up... my shop is a free standing building about 20 yards behind the house under a couple of trees. We had it put up the week we moved up from Texas. It's 12 x 24 ft with 84 inch walls and a peaked roof that is 10' at the ridgeline.
    I don't have a layout diagram, but the doorway is centered in the front wall. To the right of the door is my work area, work benches, kits storage, etc.. direct opposite the door is my lathes, the Jet mini on the back wall and the Ridgid immediately left. To the left of the door is the band saw and table saw, my storage racks and an old dining table for whatever I might need an old dining table for..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop 001.JPG   shop 002.JPG   shop 003.JPG   shop 004.JPG   shop 005.JPG  

shop 006.JPG   shop 007.JPG   shop 008.JPG   shop 009.JPG   shop 010.JPG  

Last edited by Chuck Ellis; 12-21-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

My man-cave - vol II

Adding a few more pictures..

Showing some of the wood stash outside and inside.
    The closet on the end is for my dust collector.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop 011.JPG   shop 012.JPG   shop 014.JPG   shop 015.JPG   shop 016.JPG  

shop 017.JPG   shop 018.JPG   shop 019.JPG   shop 021.JPG   shop 022.JPG  

Last edited by Chuck Ellis; 02-12-2008 at 01:55 AM.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.

And Vol III

The sticky said 10 picts weren't enough so I got carried away..

The tree laying on the back side of the shop used to stand over it, but in the prep for the area, the contractor must have disturbed the roots and killed the tree.. I had to cut it before it bashed the shop's roof in.

The last picture is a few peppermills in progress.. I've roughed the round and now have to start the drilling... since the picture I've added a few more mills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop 023.JPG   shop 024.JPG   shop 027.JPG   shop 025.JPG   shop 030.JPG  

Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN

Nice setup, Chuck. Looks like you've got it well-organized and usable.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hey Chuck you got the same shop size as me. Its not as big as most, but with a little ingenuity you can make some beautiful stuff in small shops. You look like you laid yours out quite well.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Good use of space in your shop. Aprox same size as mine. Two lathes. Must mean yer one a the good guys. I see a lot of small plastic bags hanging over your bench. Are those pen kits? BTW, your Jet lathe looks like it has dried blood running down the front. Is there a story there?

Looks great Chuck. I like the dust collector outside, do you have a compressor you could stick out there too? BTW....It looks like you way to organized.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

It looks awesome, but from can see you need more space.

So here is my suggestion.

Raffle off one wall of goodies at .50 cents a chance. Put me down for 100 chances.

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Hi Frank,
    It's not blood... I'm a little messy with CA sometime... I think I dripped some when I was doing some Redheart duck calls.. I get a little blood in some of my work occasionally, but not that much.. Those are my pen kits hanging on the wall .. above the lathe I have some acrylic blanks.. most of my wood is on the shelf in the back in shoe boxes.

Jeff, I don have a compressor yet and don't think I left enough room in the shed for one.. might be able to make a shelf above the DC but will depend on how big a compressor I get. I have to be organized as a defense mechanism... I still spend way too much time looking for that tool that I was just using and laid down somewhere.. or put in my pocket...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN

Looks really great Chuck, I'm sure you spend many a hour out there, and having it all well organized makes it that much more enjoyable.

Thanks for the tour!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward