Thread: Exploded Drawing

Exploded Drawing

After drawing an object in SU, is there a way to explode it to show dadoes, grooves, mortise & tenons, etc.?

Second question, if I draw an object with a mortise and tenon, set the part in place with the tenon inserted, then later want to work on the piece away from the whole object, I find that I often "draw" the inside of the joint across the screen. Obviously I am doing something wrong here but haven't been able to figger out what.

Here is a doll bunkbed design that I am working on. Questions, comments, sarcastic remarks are appropriate.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bunk Bed_wkg.jpg  
    Last edited by jim crockett; 02-13-2008 at 03:49 AM.

The simple answer is, "components." You need to be making components to keep the individual parts of your model discreet. If you make components of each piece of wood, you'll be able to do everything you want. I've written here many times about using components so I won't do it now. I would suggest that you read through the forum.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Hey Jim, Welcome to the forum. Like Dave said, make each piece into a component and that will make a whole lot of stuff much easier. As to exploding drawings into parts, there is not an automated way to do that, but if the parts are component, you can simply drag individual parts away from others and drop them where you want them.

To work on a particular component without other pieces getting in the way, you can go to the View Menu, Component Edit, and click hide rest of model. When you double click to edit a component, the rest of the model will disappear and only your component will be visible. You simply toggle that setting on and off as needed.

There are a ton of sites out there with tutorials on SketchUp. Dave has an excellent one with a bunch of tutorials, but I don't have the link here. maybe he'll add that to his signature file if we ask him nicely. There's also a forum with lots of really helpful folks here. http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf/index.php In the Newbies section there, there's a post with a bunch of links to other stuff and the tutorials sections has some great stuff, too.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

Anyone

What happened to the Click & Build Blog at the Fine Woodworking wb site?
    there is a wealth of help there thanks to dave.

Les,

It's still there. Click on the link in my signature.

Thanks for adding the link to your sig, Dave. Makes finding that a lot easier. Great stuff, there BTW.
    Jerry

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Palmer View Post
    Thanks for adding the link to your sig, Dave. Makes finding that a lot easier. Great stuff, there BTW.
    Are you kidding, Jerry?

If you enter the three words "Design Click Build" into Google, then Dave's blog over on Taunton is the FIRST link returned. It's hard to get much easier than that!

Yeah, easy if you remember what the site is called.

What's surprising to me is that Taunton lets me in without giving them money to be a member.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Palmer View Post
    Yeah, easy if you remember what the site is called.

What's surprising to me is that Taunton lets me in without giving them money to be a member.
    Our blog is the loss leader to get you in the door.

Sshhh. Don't tell anyone, but from what I've seen over there on a few occassions, the SU Blog is the best thing there.
    Jerry