Exploded Drawing

jim crockett

After drawing an object in SU, is there a way to explode it to show dadoes, grooves, mortise & tenons, etc.?

Second question, if I draw an object with a mortise and tenon, set the part in place with the tenon inserted, then later want to work on the piece away from the whole object, I find that I often "draw" the inside of the joint across the screen. Obviously I am doing something wrong here but haven't been able to figger out what.

Here is a doll bunkbed design that I am working on. Questions, comments, sarcastic remarks are appropriate.

Jim

Attachments

• Bunk Bed_wkg.jpg
    Bunk Bed_wkg.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
The simple answer is, "components." You need to be making components to keep the individual parts of your model discreet. If you make components of each piece of wood, you'll be able to do everything you want. I've written here many times about using components so I won't do it now. I would suggest that you read through the forum.

Hey Jim, Welcome to the forum. Like Dave said, make each piece into a component and that will make a whole lot of stuff much easier. As to exploding drawings into parts, there is not an automated way to do that, but if the parts are component, you can simply drag individual parts away from others and drop them where you want them.

To work on a particular component without other pieces getting in the way, you can go to the View Menu, Component Edit, and click hide rest of model. When you double click to edit a component, the rest of the model will disappear and only your component will be visible. You simply toggle that setting on and off as needed.

There are a ton of sites out there with tutorials on SketchUp. Dave has an excellent one with a bunch of tutorials, but I don't have the link here. maybe he'll add that to his signature file if we ask him nicely. :) There's also a forum with lots of really helpful folks here. http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf/index.php In the Newbies section there, there's a post with a bunch of links to other stuff and the tutorials sections has some great stuff, too.

Thanks for adding the link to your sig, Dave. Makes finding that a lot easier. Great stuff, there BTW.

Are you kidding, Jerry? ;)

If you enter the three words "Design Click Build" into Google, then Dave's blog over on Taunton is the FIRST link returned. It's hard to get much easier than that! :thumb: