Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to move back to San Diego!

I need to move back to San Diego!

Dang! Ice storm! The Imperial City is now covered in ice! Cars sliding everywhere, all the evergreens are bending, the government is closed down. Meanwhile, in my homeland, it's going to get to 73 today. Dang! Had to vote last night, and got Doorlink to drive me: she's from the frozen north, and she's used to this kind of thing. You've never met a better driver, but even she was sliding around.

But does the University close? Nope! Which means I have to drive through this nightmare. Seriously: this place is unfit for human habitation! I mean, there's frozen stuff falling out of the sky! It just ain't natural!

Thanks,

Bill

Sheesh Bill, even us Northerners know when to park the car. Unfortunately I'm not one of them today, I'm out in the field hoping for a break in the rain. I saw a few cars off in the ditch on my way to Cortland today. Not as many as I figured I would, judging by the number of idjits who are convinced that 4 wheel drive = 4 wheel stop or 4 wheel steer.

Me I was poking along at 55 in the granny lane watching them plow on down the road. Caught a couple of them fishtailing and watched one go spectacularly into the ditch and way up the grass near an exit. He looked ok as I passed and there was a trooper on site before I could call for help. SOme people will never learn.
    -Ned

bright side!

hey you could be having 0 degree weather and more snow.. we get a hot flash this wknd of 23˚F
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Hey Bill,
    I hear they average 300 days of sunshine per year. Must be great there. Do people have furnaces in their homes? Oh well, who really needs all that sunshine and sandy beaches? We were covered in ice here yesterday. Its kind of funny around here when we get an inch or two of snow everything comes to a halt. Travis was saying it may get waist deep in Maine, now thats snow!!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    hey you could be having 0 degree weather and more snow.. we get a hot flash this wknd of 23˚F
    Amen...same here...-4 last night up to 20 today, back to below 0 rest of the work week but a balmy 25 on Sat.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Well folks...it could be worse.

About 40 miles from where I'm sitting...the little town of Elk River....130" of snow so far this winter...and winter ain't over yet...It's amazing what 2000' of elevation difference can do. Here where I live...no snow....
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-13-2008 at 03:13 PM.
    Ken
    ------

"it could be worse."

Just now made it in. And yes, it could be worse. I heard International Falls hit minus 40 below! 40 below zero! And people live there! Ouch! Boston and Slippery Rock were cold enough for me!

Brrrr....

Thanks,

Bill

Ha. Ha. Ha.

DC is hardly the Frozen North.

Go live in Edmonton for a few years, and face 2-3 weeks of -30 in January.
    (And at those temps, it's the same between F and C)
    Hey, they've even got a nice University.

...art
    (who did his time in Edmonton, and it's a nice city, but I'm done with that sort of weather!)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Hungler View Post
    Do people have furnaces in their homes?
    My parents live in north San Diego county and have not had forced heat or air conditioning for the last 30 years. Ceiling fans and a small wood burning stove take care of it year round. Disgusting, isn't it?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Just to add a little

Yes Glenn I know where Joshua Tree is as I lived in Palm Desert for 5 years and still wish that I lived there. Wife has older and younger family here in west central Ohio that she wants to stay for. My opinion is that I have no idea why anyone would live in a climate like this. But that is the way that it goes.
    Chuck