Thread: sycamore potpourri bowl

sycamore potpourri bowl

i've been lurking, trying to learn how to turn from dvd's, youtube, online articles and this forum. i finally received my photo tent and several lights yesterday so i tried it out today.

this little sycamore potpourri bowl is about 4"dia. by 3.5" with 1/4" walls. i used the maloof oil/varnish finish and then buffed with the beall system.

but i'm not thrilled with the backdrop in the photos and need to come up with something textured that won't wrinkle...like berber carpet?? you photo wizards can probably recommend something. also the lighting is going to take some time to figure out.

any suggestions will be appreciated.

Attachment 17851

Attachment 17852

Attachment 17853
    Last edited by Clark O'Neill; 04-02-2008 at 12:29 AM.
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.

Clark, great form, finish and great wood too. Well Done Looking forward to more pics from you. I can't help with the photography, but many others here will.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Great little potpourri pot, Clark. Everything about it looks great.

On the photo backdrop, I found that LOML's clothes steamer worked good to get rid of the wrinkles. I also found that I preferred the white, gray, or black backdrops. My blue, red, and green backdrops were too intense for my tastes, and they tended to distract from the turned piece I was photographing. Many folks end up buying gradient backdrops from places like B&H Photo. Here's the one I have. Other people have simply made a large JPG file with a gradient background, then taken the file to Kinko's and gotten it printed for a few bucks on their large format color printer.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That is a beauty. Form and finish look great.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks great Clark, seems you have learned a few things about this turning stuff.

Who is this one for, it is a nice one!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

stuart, my two granddaughters are grown and gone...they both like potpourri as do my wife and daughter. so i'll make a few more. but...this is really me learning how to turn and learning hollow forms. so i'm using inexpensive wood...this bowl came from a piece of sycamore that will yield three more HF's of this size and i paid $8 for it.

looking at the photography i see that it is really crap! can i say that? a little out of focus and the bowl is tilted in the middle pic. i appreciate vaughn's comments and ordered the tent following one of his posts. but i need to work on the photography as well as the woodturning.

That is a great little turning, well done!

And are you that steady of hand signing your work or do you have a branding iron....or laser?????
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

barry, i took a caligraphy class years ago and saved the equipment. when i thought of signing work i pulled it out and practiced a little bit. but it's difficult to do any work without a place to rest the palm of your hand. so i used a cardboard box of the correct height and cut a hole in the bottom so i can rest my hand on the box with the bottom of bowls sticking through.

just thinking maybe someday one of my grandkids will show something like this to a child and say, "pop did this."