Thread: Mission Style Mantle Clock

Mission Style Mantle Clock

I got an e-mail last night from a high school industrial art teacher in LA. He's been having some trouble with SketchUp and asked for some help. Here's what I came up with for him. It's almost complete and ready to go to shop drawings.

Attachment 17866

I found a website that sells printed clock faces. They had the one I used here which I think works quite nicely. Wish I could find the website again.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-24-2008 at 09:10 PM.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

That small gridwork might be tricky for a shop class. What are those, 3/8" in thickness? Is there a bottom, or is it open from below? I would guess that you don't need a bottom, and it makes finishing that area easier, so I'm asking.

I like the lines. From eyeballing, I think the bottom crosspiece (I always forget which is the stile and which you call the rail) starts out double the height of the other two? Seems to work well.

I'm curious about an angled view. The rear section does not have the wide vertical parts, and I'm wondering how that looks when you're standing off to the side.

That clockface really works also. You'd better find the place where you got it, so that they can order some for the class!!!

nice piece, Dave
    ...art

thanks for the comments, Art.

From what this guy has told me about his students, I expect they can handle the small pieces. You're right, they are drawn at 3/8" wide.

To tell you the truth, I don't remember but you're probably right about the bottom rail. They are rails like they would be on a fence. At least that's the way I remember it.

There's no bottom and since I don't know yet what the movement is like, I drew in a small clock movement and a separate pendulum movement. I put a back on it with a similar arch as the one on the bottom rail. I don't care for the radius on the top but that's how he had originally started it so I kept the detail.

Here's from a bit more of an angle.
    Attachment 17867
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-24-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Nice design, Dave. I really like the form and space for the pendulum. Is this the site you were referring to?

Thanks Billy. Yep that's the site. Thank you very much.

FWIW, I didn't look at any similar clock designs while drawing this. I started with the drawing that was sent to me and just kind of worked it out from there.

How did you go about doing the clock face? Import as a texture and resize? Cool clock.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

Thanks Jerry. Yes, I started with the face sized as desired. Then I imported a JPG and applied it to the face. This took care of sizing it without any added steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I don't care for the radius on the top but that's how he had originally started it so I kept the detail.
    (pssst: Me neither. Now that I look again, it occurs to me that that is the one bit of the piece that is NOT mission, IMHO.)

Hi Dave ,
    You are getting better and better all the time. This rendition is concise but retro too. I think if you could add a boy , and a barber, you would have created a new Norman Rockwell!
    Your skill and willingness to help are appreciated. That undertop radius is a wee bit puzzling. Oh well, you did good!
    Shaz
    Happy Valentine's Day, You too, Art!
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Thank you Robert.

And happy Valentine's day to you as well.